SaltCritters.com

Another find in my tank....

GobyMan

Sorry about all these id questions, but everyday it seems I run into something new....just spotted this guy and wasn't sure if it was an aiptasia or not....my peppermint pretty much cleaned them out several months back and I haven't seen any since....this guy is clear with bright white balls (for lack of a better term) on the tips....have a look...this seems to be the best shot I can get...still trying to master my camera :)

Anenome2.jpg

Anenome.jpg

Thats not an aptista that looks almost like a frogspawn coral do you have a frogspawn in your tank ?

that could have broken off?? It deffinately is not an aptista

let us know as it grows man

looks cool though

i have the exact same thing in my tank..its a hitchiker of some sort, it looks like an anemone with clear tenticles with white round tips, thebody is kinda redish..?? well., that is what my is, with red body. my has grown couble the size since i got him for about a month..i have 3-5 of them on one of my LR

If anyone can ID this thing i would like to know what it is too..

No frogspawn, but I agree, looks very close...the body looks clear, though I can't get a good look at it, it is on the bottom side of one of my rocks, so I can only see it in the little cave that is created by my rocks...I hope it moves so I can get a better view!

What is it's morphology?

does it have an interior stony skeleton and is attached to the rock? if so it is prolly a kind of stony tube coral;family Faviidae.

If it is soft all the way through my guess would be baby bubble-tip anemone. either way it's a winner. if it is Faviidae, it needs meaty foods once in a while and good ALK and CA as well as strong lighting for calcification. That by the way, would be my first guess.

Good luck,

Toy

i found someting sort of like that. small clear tenacles sticking out of the sand but with the flashlight. when the light hit them some of the tencels got pulled in. i looked during the day and they werent there. so its some kind of nocturnal critter the one i have anyway.

I have three of those in my tank. Not sure what they are, but they haven't moved in 6 months (sorry Gobyman :( ). They are very interesting and seem to be docile ( one of them is right next to my colt coral and I have not seen any ill effects from it).

The diversity of life in the ocean never ceases to amaze me.

Archived