Pod Your Reef

Float switch for ATO small space

dutch_joker

dutch_joker

Guys,

I want to make my own ATO for my 2g pico. Problem is that the space for the float switch.

I only have around 30mm and 30mm space free in the back of my pico. Ideal was a 2 float switch system. I don't think that will fit.

Is one float switch reliable enough? I don't thrust the cheap ebay float switches. Which will be reliable?

I have the eBay float switches in my tank and haven't had any problems I do have a back up safety switch but never needed it yet. I've only had it all set up about a month now

Sugardaddy1979

We don't do metric lol

Maybe you end something that doesn't use a mechanical switch. I think tunze osmolator is like that. not sure on size though.

dutch_joker

We don't do metric lol

Maybe you end something that doesn't use a mechanical switch. I think tunze osmolator is like that. not sure on size though.

Tunze osmolator I have on my bigger tank. Its a good product, only the price is way to much for my pico. The have a nano version for 80 euro (around $110). That I found still to much for this tank. I am looking for a system around $25 ;)

Tunze osmolator I have on my bigger tank. Its a good product, only the price is way to much for my pico. The have a nano version for 80 euro (around $110). That I found still to much for this tank. I am looking for a system around $25 ;)

I don't understand why people want to cheap out on one of the single most important pieces of equipment for a reef tank.

Nanofreak79

Use a float, with maybe a DIY bracket. Check the float frequently, and clean fequently. Replace the float yearly to ensure good performance IMO. If you can fit two switches all the better!

IMO the tunze nano would be a better idea. Yes you pay a bit more, but better piece of mind. The switch box has a fail safe to turn the pump off as well, which you can adjust the time for as well. By time, the amount it will run before shutting down.

Are those Madesion M8000? (1.75 w/ mounting bracket) are the sizes in inch :unsure: ? (1 inch= 25,4mm)

@Akaeding, If I can fit two, then I trust them. Can you give me the demensions?

One switch is around 20mm in dia.

Why don't you create a "hamster bottle" type top off? Any rigid air tight container will work. A vacuum in the container holds the water back; when water level drops air is allowed into the container and it tops off. Uses virtually no space.

dutch_joker

Thanks guys,

@Glasshouse, because it's only a tank for fun use, and is more like a experiment. Like I said so 'My larg tank runs on better stuff. There I use a tunze osmulator''. It's a 2 gallon tank and I want to keep it safe and cheap.

@ Bubba, the hamster bottle type is cheap and I think it is a option to use for a short time. A thing that I can remember that a hamster bottle haves a lilte bal inside. How dow I get this out?

Maby in the future I will by myself a nano tunze osmulator.

Running a single float is not a big issue in a small setup, but running 120VAC through it is

Check out my thread on how to wire a float and relay that won't fail due to over voltage

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97401

There's a whole lot of info in it, but for you you'll just have to read through it until you find the info you want about wiring a 12vdc power supply and relay to run your ATO pump

This will save you burning out a float switch by running 120vac through it

Good luck !

dutch_joker

Running a single float is not a big issue in a small setup, but running 120VAC through it is

Check out my thread on how to wire a float and relay that won't fail due to over voltage

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97401

There's a whole lot of info in it, but for you you'll just have to read through it until you find the info you want about wiring a 12vdc power supply and relay to run your ATO pump

This will save you burning out a float switch by running 120vac through it

Good luck !

Thanks, First I will try the hamster ATO. Going for this one, this one is not so ugly als the normal ones. :lol:

5302_ferplast_nagertraenke_drinky_mitlog

dutch_joker

I have got the ball out, but it don't work.What am I doing wrong? I think is sucking vacuum. Do I have to drill a small hole?

Archived