ReefCleaners.org

Lighting for 29g?

SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

I'm still in the research stages of my 29 gallon build. Everything else is pretty much planned out already except lighting. I want to keep a pair of clowns, anemone and mostly if not all zoas. However I'd like if whatever light I buy can support LPS and SPS if I were to add some in the future.

My tank is 30" x 12" x 18"

Please recommend a lighting system that would work with my setup and future needs.

Thanks!

I have Razor 160W 27" 16k over the same tank you discribe. It covers the tank perfectly. You can keep watever you want under those lights. Look very nice, work perfectly and have warranty.

It's easy to find a light to keep any coral in that tank. What budget to have in mind? Will you use a reef controller? A light controller? Is a simple on/off timer enough?

ReefBreeders Value, ReefRadiance DM-155e and there are similar lights on ebay will be more light than you need IF a simple on off timer is adequate for you. $140 - $200

If you want a built in controller, the Photon or Lumentek series have a built in controller and come in a variety of sizes. $280 - $320 for 16"

If you want to control the light from a reef controller, I am not so sure there, I have no experience with them but the lights I have mentioned won't be able to be controller by a reef controller.

SmoothSmoke

Thanks for the help. From my limited research, I think I like the Photon 24 by Reef Breeders. Love the programability aspect of it. Just wish it would come with an optional stand.

Thanks for the help. From my limited research, I think I like the Photon 24 by Reef Breeders. Love the programability aspect of it. Just wish it would come with an optional stand.

I built a stand for my RB Value out of 1/2" galvanized pipe for about $50. All the lengths I needed were available already threaded, it's corrosion resistant and more than strong enough for the weight of one of these lights. It's completely free standing so I can move it out of the way if needed and I am also able to take it apart and reconfigure for a different tank.

snzEzcb.jpg

Sure thing. I had to modify it a bit, the base was too wide to fit between the legs on the BioCube stand and I didn't have the light centered over the display portion of the tank. I returned the too long pieces and swapped in some shorter pipe nipples. The vertical is 5' and the 2 legs and upper arm are 18".

nTYqKMZ.jpg

Archived