SaltCritters.com

I'm not a DIYer, would this work?

pokgirl

That link doesn't show anything really, what was it supposed to be a link to? Do you have flourescent strip lights now and you want to change to power compacts? If so, they are two entirely different systems and require different ballasts and sockets.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The strip light is from an old freshie tank. I used to have 2 X 15W incandescents, but the socket would fit the light I'm talking about.

They are listed as "Coralife Mini Compact 50/50 Lamp 20 Watt" and says that they are self-ballasted.

if it just screws into a regular socket I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm sure the PAR is pretty low in them though.

BKtomodachi

Nah dont let em fool you. Those are nice lights, and a great alternative for people that have incandescent hoods but need reef lighting. And they are pc lights technically, so actually the PAR is okay.

If you have the choice, a 32W retro would still be better, or also great to add to the screw-ins.

I don't think they make them in all atinic. If they do, someone post a link! I'm interested.

In any case, I have a 36W retro in my hood already, bought the hood retroed already - so this will actually be a grand total of 76 W of 50/50 over my 5 gallon tank. What can't I keep? Heh.

I've got 2 of the 10w 50/50 coralife bulbs over my 5 gallon and i've got xenia, zoo's, polyps, shrooms, finger leather, and a christmas tree coral.

qualudethunder

I had 3 of them over my old eclipse 6. They worked great for me. The color was nice for the price. I have a few extras if you want two of them pokgirl, they are just collecting dust. They were used for about 6 months, but you could get some use out of them. Let me know if you want them.

I used to look for them in all actinic when I had the old setup but never did find them.

Archived