Pod Your Reef

Aiptasia X in our Torch? :(

ojessiesgirlo

ojessiesgirlo

We have a lot of nuisance anemones that we just put Aiptasia X in, and a bit dropped onto our Austrailian Torch :( One side looks fine, the other is all tucked in, the tentacles are dark and the white stem looks darker. Did we kill it? I feel horrible - I'm not an instruction-reader, but I read these before I started and it said it was safe for use near other coral!

20140302_180907_zps92a9aaee.jpg

Forgive all the mess - we were doing a water change.

20140302_180528_zps711e99aa.jpg

Be careful, I put some on a rock and some dripped to a mushroom below- it bore a hole through it- ate it away like acid.

ojessiesgirlo

That's what I'm afraid of :( I guess we can just wait it out? I was thinking if the one side is definitely dead we would try to separate it from the live part, but I don't want to jump the gun...

try to blow it off with your hand as soon as possible. If you didnt do that to begin with it may be too late. if it does die it wont hurt the other side so dont mess with it.

Safe to use NEAR other corals? yes. Safe to use ON corals? definitely not. it kills most everything it touches if not removed asap.

ojessiesgirlo

Well we did wane the piece off right away, so fingers crossed... it's hard to know if it was fast enough because it kind of closed in on the piece right away...

This is what it looks like now:

20140302_202149_zps1f71d744.jpg

Mostly normal/retracted, some white mucous on the side that got near the Aiptasia

*wave it away

Archived