SaltCritters.com

Is diluted water the same as RO?

NanoTank1

The topic title says it all. I was wondering how diluted water (purchased from the grocery store and meant for appliances such as humidifiers) differs from RO, RODI water in practical terms.

DI stands for distilled not diluted.

For all practical purposes one in the same as far as use in our set ups. Cost is where you need to focus if you want to compare the two with regards to your use.

Make sure it's distilled and not one of the other types that you can usually find at the store. Filtered, spring, artisan, mineral waters probably aren't the best bet. A lot of the purified waters are RO or distilled but they add minerals in which should be stated on the label.

Thanks for the info. My mind must have been wondering. I meant distilled water:) Distilled water is what I have been using in my not-so-big tanks. Awesome to hear that distilled water from the grocery stores is functionally same as RO/DI. I'll consider a dedicated RO/DI filter at some point, but not sure if it makes sense for tanks around 10 gallons:-)

I'll consider a dedicated RO/DI filter at some point, but not sure if it makes sense for tanks around 10 gallons:-)

I think it does. A gallon of distilled water is around $0.80 (plus gas and time to get). RO/DI cost about $0.05 a gallon. So you've paid for a top notch RO/DI system after less than 175 gallons (about 2 years of use). After that you'll be saving $0.75 every gallon you use. Plus, it's more convenient.

Archived