Coral Vue Hydros

PC's go out when hot

dave_n

I am using a Helios 2X55W PC on my20 gallon. Yesterday the lights started turning off after they were on for 5 or 10 minutes. I can't turn them back on until they cool down, and then they go out again after they heat up. Has anyone else had this happen? My first guess is a ballast problem, but the replacement ballasts are so expensive, I'm not sure if I would replace it, or maybe call this the right time to ugrade to MH. Is there a way to know for sure if it is the ballast? Any way to fix it?

Thanks for the info. I may have given the wrong impression by refering to the unit getting hot. I'm sure this isn't a normal temperature issue. The ballast is remote and is in an air conditioned room. The system worked fine until just the other day, so something has definitely gone wrong now. I will check the capacitors, but I don't think they are replaceable (at least not by me). It looks like a black epoxy or some similar material was poured over the entire electrical unit after assembly, so most of it is now buried except for two copper coil sticking out, and two cylinders sticking up, which may be capacitors, but I can't reach their connection point.

Archived