Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alsipian Reef Arduino Controller

Endevor

The system is geared for DIY lights. Perhaps if I separate the LED drivers and just give it it's own AC power, it could probably work off a xbee system. What you guys think? Would you guys benefit from bluetooth lights? It be easy to make universal with just screw terminals. It would make the actual controller significantly smaller, maybe even the size of a shield... The power strip would need it's own AC source and possibly the dosing system as well. Hmm. I'll have to look into that

Yeah the Xbee stuff is nice, and relatively cheap. Just need to add the Xbee radio board to your board, and then you can add tons of outboard wireless devices on the other end. I think it can support quite a few of them if I recall.

Eagle files for a ton of micro-sized led drivers. Most can do up to 24v and cost <$4, but one is a 40v 3a max boost led driver. All drivers have the parts listed from digikey.

The AP8802 led driver is a 48v max Vin buck led driver like the LDDs, and can do 1a max output. Apart from that, your best bet for >1a led driver is one with and external MOSFET, like the LM3421. That one can go up to 95% efficiency and has low voltage and high voltage protections. You can remove the protections to save space, but the high voltage one I would leave alone.

EDIT: The LM3421 file and LM3429 file list the output as 1a max. The output is actually as high as you want it, depending on the big MOSFET. They are also missing a parts list, but the names (RSET, CIN, etc.) correspond to the circuit diagrams on the datasheets.

I think I found what I need:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/RT8453BGSP/1028-1004-1-ND/2470063

Thoughts before I try to test it out? Claims 4.5-40V, 1.5A, PWM or Analog control

Keep in mind switching to SMD requires that you reflow solder stuff yourself. Small resistors and stuff would be okay, but instead you could just buy a resistor IC that has 8 to 16 resistors to transfer signals.

Soldering SMD will be a little new to me. I have a SMD rework station that's itching to be used, so might as well learn. I'll definitely be playing around on cheap perf boards before actually ordering PCBs to solder onto. Most of the LED drivers I'm finding I can only get as a SMD so I think at least in that area, I'm going to have to do that. May make it harder if I try to sell it where the user has to solder everything. We'll see how it goes, that's still a ways off.

So I think I'm going to take a different turn. Since I'm looking to making the connection to the lights Bluetooth, It seems I have shrunk everything I need down to create a simple shield for the Arduino. It wouldn't be able to host any Atlas probes yet, but we'll see what I can do on sensors when I learn how to embed my own controllers for them.

So parts on the shield would include:

Two Temp Sensors

Two Fan ports

External power port for 12V

Multiplexer for up to 4 serial connections (intended for Atlas Probes)

Buzzer

RGB indicator LED

Molex connector for connections to peripherals

Bluetooth module

If I can fit all this on there, it would be extremely easy to get a display shield of your choice, Touch or LCD ad simply add it to the top as well as any other shields you may want to use.

I would like to introduce the Alsipian Reef Controller Shield or ARC Shield for short.

I need some suggestions before I move to practical testing and working on the light side of the controller.

I used molex microfit 3.0 connectors along one side for individual connections to the power strip, doser, RGB LED, 2x Float Switces, and possibly 4 sensor probes. It has a socket for an "xbee" Though the intention is to use a blueooth version from Sparkfun. It also includes a buzzer for alarms.

A new introduction I'm trying is the use of register shifters to use only 3 pins to control the power strip, doser, and RGB LED. The probes use pretty much the reverse of that to read the probes.

The advice I'm looking for is on the probes. Attached should be an image of what I have thus far. Everything is in DIP form to make it easy for anyone to solder together, though issue I'm running into is that there is no room for the controllers for the probes. There are also no connection for fans.

Probes:

Should I try to make room on the single shield or perhaps make a second shield for the probes?

Fans: The shield is designed to operate on 5V and it would take up room to give 12V supply then drop it down to 5V to supply everything.

I have a thought to create two shields, one wielding what it needs now, and the other holding the sensor probes and 12V fans. The first then could hold the utilities and connections to peripherals while the second can become the power source for 12V for fans as well as a step down to supply the lower shield and probes.

So basically, thoughts? Suggestions?

post-81086-0-79567100-1395707968_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I don't have any updates worth noting yet. I'm suppose to be graduating soon so the project has been more or less on hold for a little while. This summer I plan on expanding a bit. Since I'll no longer be restricted to <10 gallon tank, I plan on clearing out an old 30 gal and designing a stand around that. I'm also working on separating everything so each device will work on its own. In essence, you'll have a controller for the lights, a controller for the dosing system, etc etc. These will all report to a central controller via bluetooth. This way the user can control everything they need as well as the main controller can optimize the devices. The benefit I'm going for (based on my frustration with my current design) is that each device can function on its own even if something else is broken or not connected. So you can take something out to troubleshoot or replace, even the main controller, and the rest of the system will still function. It won't be designed for long term functionality, but it's great for when one component needs to be removed or doesn't function properly for a short while.

In all, that's the direction I'm heading. You can see some blueprints on my website (link in my signature) as well as offer any suggestions through the site or on here. I should start picking back up the pace after things settle out with school and I can find a job.

• 1 month later...

I'm Back!

Alright, a couple since I've last seriously added anything to the project. These last couple weeks I've been working on a simple Arduino Shield that will take care of all main operations and human user interface. It'll be equipped with a bluetooth transceiver to communicate with subordinate controllers. It simply connects to a Arduino Mega and topped with a touch screen. The connectors line the edge are molex microfit 3.0 for a power strip, float switch, PAR sensor, Temp Sensor, Buzzer, and a RTC. Anyway, I took some pictures of a prototype. Some components aren't attached, but the general idea still remains. I'm finding some bugs, but it still allows me to work on the software at this point. I'm also working on a lighting controller to test communications between the main and subordinates.

post-81086-0-94938200-1402299983_thumb.jpg

post-81086-0-99702100-1402299984_thumb.jpg

post-81086-0-43895000-1402299986_thumb.jpg

post-81086-0-65706700-1402299987_thumb.jpg

post-81086-0-51754600-1402299988_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Endever!

I like how you think... very awesome stuff! I'd like to ask you a question if you don't mind. First off let me say I am a recent engineering grad and work now doing freelance design work. I work will lots of Arduino and microcontroller stuff, Bluetooth devices, any sort of digital electronics and programming apps and designing websites. I love electronics and am using my professional experience to indulge myself in all work and hobbies that I enjoy!

I really like your ideas about the 'AI' of the machine, being it learning from the user by actual input, or having a more intelligent design HMI. Would you be interested in collaborating on this project? I think designing a larger interface and touchscreen software would be fun; also working out an approach for any sort of AI, etc. Also a new website might be in order if you are able to go further into an actual product :)

More on topic of nano reefs, here is my 10g Biorb tank. Two clownfish there in the back you can see. In fact this is my first tank and has only been up less than a month. My experience in saltwater pretty lacking, but I have learned a lot setting up my first reef! Sorry for the horrible white balance from my LED light... it's an iPhone !

Any new updates on the project?

post-84595-0-68803100-1403735473_thumb.png

I'll shoot you a PM. Love your tank design, I always liked the tall circular or hexagonal tanks. Almost got one myself, but my cube ended up being easier to work with. As far as updates go, I haven't done a whole lot except try to fine tune the circuitry.

• 1 year later...

So again it's been a while since I've posted here, and again I'm going to throw this one out there:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112103983/arc-ultimate-diy-reef-controller

I've rebooted my project and with a slightly improved status.

The first version of the Sun board is officially completed. I reduced it from 8 channels down to 7 in order to have only one ethernet cable communicating with the brain instead if several different cables or some strangely designed one.

The Brain is so close. I have some minor issues with the DS3234 (Real Time Clock) but it's only an issue if you lose power, otherwise the Brain board is fairly operational as well.

I know have prototypes of the Power and Nutrients board. Nutrients is next in line to be tested, but so far everything is looking great!.

I tested the lighting system for the last 5 months while I was away for training and it kept almost perfect time, rising every day at sunrise and setting at sunset. It eased the fish and coral into the day and gave some pretty cool effects with different hues throughout the day as well as cloud cover. I hope to have a video to show the time lapse going on so everyone can kinda see what I'm talking about.

So, if anyone's still interesting in this system, please support me at kickstarter! If you want to see more specifics, please visit the web page I have set up. All of the files, sketches, and code should be updated to what's currently going on. Please, feel free to comment, message me, give advice, or anything! And most of all, please share! I can use all the support I can get.

Archived