Top Shelf Aquatics

Spif's place. A Fluval Spec2 Adventure

Spif

Added the chaeto to the filtration rack. I am still waiting to see how things go before I toss in the chemipure. I am hoping to sustain with only floss, the chaeto, and LR rubble.

post-83539-0-80534600-1393693178_thumb.jpg

Poly is opening up nicely this morning.

post-83539-0-70425400-1393693235_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

Just a note. Most par 30 bulbs need to be in a fixture without a shade to keep from overheating. They get pretty hot.

I'll watch that over the next few days. Thanks tiki.

On a side note. Sealed up the base and top corners after seeing the creeping crud. It seems to have helped. Good tip!

This is a super cool tank! I'm working on a 12 gallon nano, which is currently on day 9. May look into one of these in the future depending on how this goes. I just like how it is sort of more affordable lol.. I'd like to have one with a banded coral shrimp.

Thanks Roly. I am enjoying this one. The cost was a little more than anticipated as I started with only the stock tank and absolutely nothing else. But now I have most of the essentials should decide to go bigger in the future.

Added the chaeto to the filtration rack. I am still waiting to see how things go before I toss in the chemipure. I am hoping to sustain with only floss, the chaeto, and LR rubble.

attachicon.gifphoto 2 (6).JPG

Poly is opening up nicely this morning.

attachicon.gifphoto (3).JPG

Good start, that green star polyp will grow extremely fast (like a weed) if it's happy. Careful on that but good starter coral.

This is a super cool tank! I'm working on a 12 gallon nano, which is currently on day 9. May look into one of these in the future depending on how this goes. I just like how it is sort of more affordable lol.. I'd like to have one with a banded coral shrimp.

Coral banded shrimps are very cool to watch and always a conversation maker however they can also be a pain in the butt. They think they rule the tank and need to be slapped around sometimes. Forget spot feeding corals, the shrimp wants everything. Mine was aggressive in my 24g, I'd image it would be fun putting your fingers in the 12g.

Noticed today after work that the poly frag only has one polyp open. The rest are shut tight as a drum. They were open this morning when I left for work (light was off)

Tested the water and all was great with Ammmonia, nitrate, nitrite, and salinity.

I don't think have anything to worry about yet but is anyone able to toss some wisdom my way?

Islandoftiki

Noticed today after work that the poly frag only has one polyp open. The rest are shut tight as a drum. They were open this morning when I left for work (light was off)

Tested the water and all was great with Ammmonia, nitrate, nitrite, and salinity.

I don't think have anything to worry about yet but is anyone able to toss some wisdom my way?

Just give 'em some time to acclimate to the light. It's probably much brighter than they're used to. Try raising the light up higher and see if that makes them happier. Then you can slowly lower it over a week or two.

Spec is still doing great. Had a salinity scare today when I checked and found it at 1.028. I am going to have to pay closer attention. Can't wait for the refractometer to get here!

A few new additions. Anyone able to ID the mushroom and dendros from the pics? I think the mushroom is a purple tonga, and the dendros is a Flaming.

Dendros

post-83539-0-29067600-1394405796_thumb.jpg

Purple mushroom

post-83539-0-82967300-1394405810_thumb.jpg

Clown Goby

post-83539-0-63630300-1394405804_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

Looks like you got a nice purple rhodactis and some sort of nice looking dendro. People usually don't go stupid and give wacky names to anything but zoanthids and SPS corals. I'm sure there are exceptions though. It looks like you have some nice finds there. Most dendros don't like too much light, so your placement looks reasonable. They do like really stable parameters though, so keep that in mind. I have a rhodactis that looks really similar to your picture and it's bullet proof. Great choice.

I have been surprised at the dendros so far. I was afraid my first choice of positioning was going to be a bit too much light and a little too much flow, but those tendrils are out and waving around like mad... Even moreso after I dropped the salinity closer to 1.024/5.

Think I may try introducing some hammer, a torch, and various zoas over the next few weeks. Once I have those in place I should just be able to let it all grow and enjoy.

Islandoftiki

I have some euphyllia that are about as bullet proof as any coral can be. Hammer/torch would probably work, depending on the species.

Be careful what you put in such a small tank. Hammer and torch way too much for a 2 gallon. I love my dendro too, but constant feedings will degrade your water quality.

Archived