Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beginner Corals

nanocube

Hey! I just wanted to ask you reef keepers out there what are the easiest corals to take care of? Also which ones don't need that much light, and much space - I have a 12 gallon tank.

kris_willard

No and yes. You dont really need to feed any of those but you can if you want. tHe xenia grows pretty fast and some types of zoos and shrooms do as well.

BKtomodachi

A book could sure tell you that too, and I dont think a book gets tired of answering questions!

I try to tun 10-15X turnover each hour. So take you gallons, multiply by ten, then thats the total of how many gph you should shoot for when you combine all the ph's. Give or take a bit. Just see how it looks.

Undertheradar

When I start to break in a tank with corals, I use the following frags: First Shrooms. If you kill them something is wrong, and they help the break in cycle by absorbing waste byproducts like nitrate. Second GSP. Same reasons as the shrooms. Then Zoos and Xenia. They add alot for color and require little attention. The xenia is a good light meter. Shrooms and GSP are pretty low light, but if you want to check if you can start keeping some brighter light corals, zoos and xenia are a good test...as well as for current...GSP and xenia are good built in flow meters. If all is happy, then I go with a LPS...like an open brain, meat, galaxea, hammer, candycane, frogspawn. They are pretty easy to get used to with regards to attention needed to maintain proper calcium levels. After this you're pretty set...SPS and clams on the way!!!

EtOH_is_good

chill bob, nanocube deserves some grief for not posting in the beginner section. nanocube, please read the articles under the information tab at the top of the window. it'll answer a lot of your basic questions before someone really bites into you here. also try posting in the beginners section like i said earlier. we go easy on newbies there if your questions aren't too ignorant. gsp = green star polyps

hey etoh you cant possibly be this rude in real life. he asked a question he wanted an answer to next time when he has a question hes not going to ask for fear of getting his head bitten off then hes going to do something he shouldnt and kill a fish or crash his tank, etc... its getting a little ridiculous every post i read has somebody bashing somebody else for not doing something properly on the ohh so holy grail nano-reef.com get a life

EtOH_is_good

:blush: my appologies to you mlaw and nanocube. in real life, im a very mean-spirited sarcastic smart butt that some may consider rude, but on the inside im an :angel: in my defense, if you have read any of my post in the beginner section i generally provide an answer with a reasonable explination and weblinks for more info if necessary. if i think that someone hasn't received an appropriate answer in a couple days and i have the knowledge, i'll respond. even though we live in the internet age, an instant answer is not always appropriate esp if discussing a nanoreef set up that has not happened.

:rant: i strongly advocate the beginners to use the search button because their questions have been answered numerous times. if i keep seeing similar basic questions by the same person, i don't think its wrong to remind them that there are resources available under the info tab and in the beginner section. in addition, supposedly nanoreef has become more civil over the last few months. i've seen the occasional flames and bashing but would not characterize it as every post. imo, your generalizing too much. etoh steps down from soapbox.

good luck with both your tanks.

I'm sorry, but some of my questions haven't been answered by this site. (In the message boards, or the search bar, or the information section!) I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I just want my questions answered, is that too much to ask? :*(

Well, so far I haven't been able to see how much gph the stock powerhead in the nano cube is, and if I add a 125gph rotating powerhead to it, will it be too harsh for soft corals and mushrooms, and xenias? (I'm sorry if it has already been answered in another thread, but I just haven't found it! Post the link to the thread if there is one.)

EtOH_is_good

oh it has been answered i found it in the answer in the first three threads i read after i did a search for (cube gph). answer is 100-106 gph. try reading this thread because it also talks about the second pump. good thread because has pro and cons of too little and too much flow.

Archived