Cultivated Reef

My photo journal!

szesteve

Originally posted by jmt

The nipple is supposed to face as upward as possible.  

It is leftover from the process used to make the bulb.  If the nipple faces down, or at a downward angle, it will collect phosphors and impair the performance of the bulb.

-Justin

the nipple can be at any direction.the most importance is the bulb must screw in tight . the nipple is the hole where they inject xenon gas and then got seal(welled) up. It got nothing to do with phosphor or performance of the bulb.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just quoting a response I got when I was installing my 70w DE a while back.

I have also been told it is an "exhaust tip", but I don;t think I agree with that one as much.

In any case, turn it upwards. Better safe than out $80 :).

-Justin

Originally posted by jmt

Just quoting a response I got when I was installing my 70w DE a while back.

I have also been told it is an "exhaust tip", but I don;t think I agree with that one as much.

In any case, turn it upwards.  Better safe than out $80 :).

-Justin

That's true too!

Well, my refugium tank cracked so I had to go out and get a new 10 gallon tank.

The newer tanks are slightly thicker in terms of glass and the drilling of the hole went without event(as opposed to the old tank).

Also finished setting up the rest of the tank. Here's a picture under actinics and MH.

Surprisingly, in the picture it turned out that there seems like there's insufficient LR.

I'm tempted to get more but I'll probably wait abit and stock it up with corals and see how it goes. I don't want the tank to look too constricted and wanna have a more wide open space concept.

Last pic under just actinics.

Oh, the MH bulb is exactly 8 inches from the water surface. That should be more than enough right?

Okay, since my last update, I did some tests on the water.

Surprisingly, everything came up as zero.

Nitrates, Nitrites and ammonia were all zero. Well, there was actually a slight trace of nitrate, but minimal.

I'm pretty shocked but then again i've run the water in the main tank and fuge separately for about 2 weeks before i connected both tanks, I also used previous water from my 10 gallon and LR and sand.

Anyway, the past few days, I've woke up to find the fuge nearly overflowing. I realised that i had to do some tweaking to the output from the canister filter so that the water doesn't gush into the fuge. Now there's just enough water in the fuge to drain back to the main tank nicely. Still gotta keep an eye on it though.

Here's a pic of a sea star I found.

I've also got another fun past time. When the lights are off, I take a torch and shine it on the LRs and i can see several pods scattering from the light. LOL :D

I guess I may end up keeping a dragonet/mandarin in there.

Also, coraline algae and some red algae has seemed to spread pretty well...

Well, I'm still pretty blown away with the MH lights and how awesome they are. Here's a picture of the tank now with the corals I brought home from a friends place(he was boarding them for me).

Look how bright the light is!

Here's my brain coral. When I was using power compacts, I never had the orange tinge you see around the mouth.

Now with MHs, the orange tinge is developing really nicely.

No, my lighting is just a single 175W MH with a single 55W PC actinic. Initially I wanted to go with double 55W PC but i felt that a single bulb was more than enough and it has proved to be.

Maybe next time I may add one more 55W PC. Will probably just bring it to the manufacturer and add it in.

Cool.

Like you, I'm unable drill into wall or ceiling and I like the idea of using the portable cloth rack for hanging the lights. Did you do any kind of modifications to the cloth rack?

Nope, I didn't do any modifications to it.

I just didn't fully extend the height and i didn't add the 2 extra poles at the ends.

Archived