inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's 36g reef

vlangel

I wouldn't worry unless it goes above 77/78.

Here is a care sheet a Hawaiian breeding facility has for their Reidi seahorses: http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets/brazileros'>http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets/brazileros

You can see that their ideal range is higher than 74. Some large seahorses are cold water species though, so make sure you know what kind of seahorse you want/get is.

It is true higher degrees make seahorses prone to infection though, so a chiller is a good investment.

If you want to look at the care sheets of all their seahorses: http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets'>http://www.seahorse.com/care-sheets

I personally try to keep my tank at 75.

Thank you very much for the info. I've been doing salt water and even corals a long time but I've never had seahorses so this is all new to me. I was going to start out with H erectus as I read they are a good beginner seahorse. I already have a chiller but I must share the sump with the LPS/fish tank to access it. I read that isn't ideal but the return going to the seahorse tank has a UV on it which should help kill pathogens. I've been slowly lowering the temp on the controller to acclimate the corals to cooler temperatures. My tank is running 74-76 right now and the corals all seem fine. I was hoping to settle at 73-75.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking good, following along!

When do you plan to get the horses??

My seahorse tank will be cycled in 1-2 weeks and then I will install the overflow and connect the tanks to the same sump. I will add corals and pods through the summer and probably buy my seahorses in September if I can wait that long. I have a big trip to Colombia SA Sept 4- 13 and am reluctant to leave the seahorses in someone else's care that long.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated lately since I hooked the tanks together. I added a koralia nano power head to make up the flow lost by the return that was moved to the seahorse tank. All the corals seem fine since both tanks share the sump and the parameters are normal.

O my, the Sheriff and his anemone just upped and moved! They relocated to the rock structure on the left side of the tank. Ruth, the serpent star has been hanging out on one side of their prior den and I'm thinking she pushed them out! Now the Sheriff will probably throw sand all over my gold torch and acan garden.

Anemones always add excitement to the tank. :) I can't wait until I move mine to the 150 where it will probably get up and roam who knows where. :unsure:

Anemones always add excitement to the tank. :) I can't wait until I move mine to the 150 where it will probably get up and roam who knows where. :unsure:

Well, at least it will have lots of places to choose. Maybe more important is that you will have more options to move stuff away from it!

I noticed the last 2 days my brain hasn't looked as good. Last night I did a quick 5g WC. Usually that will perk it up if its not up to par. Well this morning it still looked pretty shrivelled. I should have checked the parameters as a first resort but I hadn't. Anyway when I checked the PH I had to do it twice to make sure it was what it said, 7.4. My PH is never low, it was 8.2 on Friday. I felt panicky but just did a 3g WC with some super buffer in it. An hour or so later it was back up so I guess its OK. My brain looks back to normal too. Last Thursday I did my WC with water I got from the dehumidifier. It would be like distilled and our tap water's PH is high, over 8.0 so maybe that is why.

Nanofreak79

My BTA just decided to move onto a zoa covered rock. It's been in the same spot for a year up until I moved the tank. Sounds like the ponies are getting closer.

My BTA just decided to move onto a zoa covered rock. It's been in the same spot for a year up until I moved the tank. Sounds like the ponies are getting closer.

I absolutely love nems but I hate it when they won't stay put in a good place. The tank is ready for the ponies and I want them so bad. The problem is I am going to Colombia, SA Sept. 4th-13th and I am not ready to leave my new seahorses in someone else's care yet. I am telling myself that my pods can get established and my peppermint shrimp can get big and mature by then. Still it is killing me to wait! LOL. Have you gotten more dwarf ponies yet?

Nanofreak79

Wow, exciting trip. Yeah, I wouldn't leave my new ponies alone right away either. I'm waiting until next month to get some more. I'm debating on what to do about the tank. I might go back to plastic plants? Maybe not. Trying to keep out all the bad things for them has proven difficult even being careful. I'm excited to see your new tank, should be lots o fun.

Wow, exciting trip. Yeah, I wouldn't leave my new ponies alone right away either. I'm waiting until next month to get some more. I'm debating on what to do about the tank. I might go back to plastic plants? Maybe not. Trying to keep out all the bad things for them has proven difficult even being careful. I'm excited to see your new tank, should be lots o fun.

I just took a front tank shot today if you check out 'Dawn's coral pony corral'.

I heard amphipods and hydroids could be a problem with live macros and dwarf ponies and especially for the fry. Its a shame because live macros are so lovely. I did incorporate a few artificial plants in my tank to punch up the color but I'm not done with live plants and corals yet. Just temporarily out of money, ha ha!

I checked my PH today early before the lights came on and it was great, about 8.2 so it must have been from using the water from the dehumidifier. I guess if that water is PH neutral then it would pull the tanks PH down.

Nothing new to report but sometimes no news is good news. That happens to be the case with the LPS tank. Everything looks good, the parameters are good so life is good!

• 2 weeks later...

Well some sad but not unexpected news: Firefly, my 5 year old or so firefish goby died last night. He's been looking rather aged and frail lately. I haven't actually found his body so I'm thinking Ruth, the serpent star found him. So goes a burial at sea.

Nanofreak79

That's to bad about your fish. It always sucks to lose any fish, especially one you've had for a long time.

glennr1978

Yeah, losing a fish you've had for a long time is definitely tough. I lost quite a few in a power outage a couple of years ago. Most of which I've had since my soon to be 8 year old was born. It's crazy how attached we can be to fish. I'm sorry for your loss.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank/s are doing well although I recently noticed that the WC water is a bit more yellow than I would expect. I change out about 12g a week in a 60g system and run carbon 24/7. Most likely the yellow is due to tannins from DOC but why? I've been using Nualgi since April so I wondering if that is the source. I have discontinued until the WC water looks more like what I am used to. BTW, all my parameters are fine. The fish seem fine and most of the corals look pretty good too.

Hmmm,

usually a sign the carbon is worn out or not in enough flow? I think yellowing of water is fairly normal as waste breaks down. I know my old 40 gallon would get significantly yellow if I did not run carbon, and I had to be careful not to shock the corals if I waited too long because it really made a difference in the amount of light entering the tank.

Hmmm,

usually a sign the carbon is worn out or not in enough flow? I think yellowing of water is fairly normal as waste breaks down. I know my old 40 gallon would get significantly yellow if I did not run carbon, and I had to be careful not to shock the corals if I waited too long because it really made a difference in the amount of light entering the tank.

Sorry Mark, I forgot to say that I change out the carbon weekly which is way more often than neccesary. I put the carbon in the media basket of my prizm pro skimmer so I'm pretty sure its getting plenty of flow. I've always done it this way but the yellow water is a new development. Aside from Nualgi the only thing different is that the seahorse tank is hooked into the system. It doesn't even have livestock yet except a couple of peppermint shrimp.

I am still not pleased with something going on with the tank. I've been faithfully WC out 8g/week, scrubbing the troubled areas and keeping the skimmers and carbon/gfo changed and still things aren't quite right. My long tentacled torch is about done for and now my Duncan is closed up. The other corals and fish look fine. My parameters are OK but I had more nitrates 10ppm and phosphates .5ppm today. PH, alkalinity, and calcium are all good. I plan to do another WC Thursday. We are heading out of town for 5 days on Friday so here's hoping everything is alright!

• 2 weeks later...

I am still not pleased with something going on with the tank. I've been faithfully WC out 8g/week, scrubbing the troubled areas and keeping the skimmers and carbon/gfo changed and still things aren't quite right. My long tentacled torch is about done for and now my Duncan is closed up. The other corals and fish look fine. My parameters are OK but I had more nitrates 10ppm and phosphates .5ppm today. PH, alkalinity, and calcium are all good. I plan to do another WC Thursday. We are heading out of town for 5 days on Friday so here's hoping everything is alright!

I can't tell you have my times that has happened to me! Corals just melting away for no apparent reason or just not growing the way they should.

Archived