SaltCritters.com

Macro Fertilizer

Subsea

More and more reefkeepers are finding out that macro will consume nutrients at an alarming rate. To the point of depleting available nutrients and going asexual. In the past, I have dosed with iron, calcium nitrate and most recently Austins Clear Ammonia at $4 a Gallon from Tractor Supply.

Tonight, while shopping at Home Depot, I found kelp concentrate in the garden center. The major nutrients are 13-0-6. No phosphate. In the past, I have used Ironite without phosphate. When macro grows, it uses calcium, magnesium, nitrogen and phosphate as major nutrients and iron, copper, zinc, molybdenum, manganese and sulfur as minor nutrients.

As a generalization of macro growth, it is 15% nitrogen and 1% phosphate by dry weight. Alaskas Pure Kelp Concentrate supplies everything that macro needs but phosphate. When you use this fertilizer to accelerate macro growth, the overall removal of phosphate from tank water takes place. The product cost $10 for 32 oz.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Target is 20-40 ppm of nitrate. Remember, I am a macro growout facility.

Be cautious with the kelp concentrate. I am experimenting with it on two 55G tanks set up for macro tumble culture using a vertical loop current. Directions for hydroponic use and mist application showed two tablespoons for each gallon. Last night, I used 16 tablespoons or 1 cup in 55G. The clear tank water was stained brown to the point of interfering with light penetration. I set up a cannister filter with activated carbon at 6PM. Twelve hours later, the water is only slightly clearer.

In my macro lagoon display tanks, I am more likely to stick with the ammonia as my nutrient supplement. I feed fish heavily but the system consumes the nutrients to the point of not being able to detect nitrate using API test kits. Hopefully, today, I will receive a Pinpoint Nitrate monitor to accurately follow nitrate at lower levels in our reef tanks.

I am not familiar with Flourish at 7-1-37. I do not think you need phosphate or potassium. IMO, phosphate will come in no matter what you do, it is in the air, lol. There are phosphate free winter lawn fertilizer called Sta-Green with different ratios of nutrients.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Can you post a picture of your macro tumbling setup? I grow macro algae on a small scale, just for the fun of it, but I grow them in individual vases to get a tumbling effect. I would love to replicate this in a larger setup.

I mostly use a long rectangular tank like a 55G. It can be as simple as two power heads at the top pointing to the oppossite side. I have found that with increasing growth, that the return loop at the bottom gets clogged up. For serious cultivation, a second pump or jet is required at the bottom to return the seaweed to the other side. I also add an air bubble uplift curtain to raise the tumble culture back to the starting point. I call it a vertical loop current. Google "algae tumble culture" to get numerous videos. Go to my website and view video link to Red Ogo getting around to the beach boys music.

Patrick

PS. When at the video link on the website, it is necessary to go to the utube link. Enjoy.

Archived