Coral Vue Hydros

Xenia hasn't opened....

wolfpac

Hi guys! I got a xenia frag on sunday and the next day it was on the bottom open completly, more so than at the lfs where I bought it from! Then on wednesday I moved it up to the middle of the tank an hour after I did my monthly water change (that in the morning). For the rest of the day it was closed completely.Then thursday afternoon I was getting worried so I moved it back down to the bottom. Today it's still closed up. Why would it fully open and then close up? is it going to be okay?!? Need help quickly!!!!!!

Not sure the depth of your tank but leave it on the bottom if there is good flow. It could be that the Xenia is moving around your tank becuase it doesn't like what it is on or where it is. I had mine in my JBJ nano on the top but it didn't like it b/c I think too much light. I put it on the bottom and it seems to like it. I induce it to open with phytoplankton or brine shrimp juice. But make sure your parameters for your water are good. When my salinty was high (or higher) it didn't look too good. Xenias fall over and look like they are dying but a week later it grows from the part where it fell on to...if that makes any sense...

Also you are kind of jumping the gun ...it has been in your tank that long for it to accept the new condtions. also,you should have done your water change a few days b4 introducing any new items.

Give it time and leave it be it will grow and grow and grow until you have to prune it regularly!!

I also noticed friday that some of it had become unattached from the rock. Is that normal? Or is my fish or inverts picking at it.

i have it on the top of my jbj with 64watts and it's loving it!

I wonder if I add another 64watts will it melt??

don't worry about your xenia. Stop touching them and just leave them be. They should start to open up by tomorrow or later tonight.

Archived