Cultivated Reef

Need advice for getting a light for a HOB fuge

dottybackss

I just bought another refugium for my other reef tank but I still cant decide what kind of light I should get for my 18' long HOB refugium. I am thinking of any custom made leds fixture with 15W 6500k or just get a T8 fluorescent fixture with 6500k bulb which is 15W also. Do I need 6500k for sure? I dont know how much the custom made leds cost but for the T8 fixture is only cost me $40.

Ya I think so too. Dont feel like paying that much for just a refugium. I get the leds if is gd deal. For the t8 it only have 15W, is that enough?

Waht type of macro do you plan to have? How deep is the Fuge?

I just only have cheato in it and the the size of the refugium is 18'L x 4'W x 12'H. I also have some small piece of live rock in the bottom.

I would remove the rock, get a simple CFL lamp and add a small power head with a foam intake filter to help rotate it if all you intend is chaeto/gracilaria/Ulva.

I would remove the rock, get a simple CFL lamp and add a small power head with a foam intake filter to help rotate it if all you intend is chaeto/gracilaria/Ulva.

Is 3W 6500k led is better or 3W 7000k is better? If I going to get leds.

6500k is a better slightly better choice, but don't overdo it on intensity. I had exceptional test results growing chaeto under a simple 5000K CFL bulb on a 12h lighting schedule.

6500k is a better slightly better choice, but don't overdo it on intensity. I had exceptional test results growing chaeto under a simple 5000K CFL bulb on a 12h lighting schedule.

I gonna have is 6 3W each led. Is this overdo or you mean dont overdo on the kelvin?

I gonna have is 6 3W each led. Is this overdo or you mean dont overdo on the kelvin?

Don't overdo it on the wattage. The real key to good chaeto growth is good water flow and tumble of the chateo ball. Lighting doesn't have to be intense as long as the ball is tumbled and you keep it trimmed (nutrient export) so the inner part of the ball doesn't die off and release the nutrients back into the water. When you trim it, just cut the ball into 2 halves and give the half you're going to toss a good shake to release the pods in it back into the refugium. Then stretch the half you keep so it can get light and let it tumble.

fwiw, the best macro growth I've had was under t8

My gf is using a t8 for her refugium and I gonna get some led so later on I gonna update with u guys which light is grow better. lol

Don't overdo it on the wattage. The real key to good chaeto growth is good water flow and tumble of the chateo ball. Lighting doesn't have to be intense as long as the ball is tumbled and you keep it trimmed (nutrient export) so the inner part of the ball doesn't die off and release the nutrients back into the water. When you trim it, just cut the ball into 2 halves and give the half you're going to toss a good shake to release the pods in it back into the refugium. Then stretch the half you keep so it can get light and let it tumble.

Trim them when they outgrow? Flow I have is a maxi jet 600 which I think it gives enough flow but what do u mean by tumble it? did u mean by move it by hand sometimes or get enough flow to pass through the cheato?

Trim them when they outgrow? Flow I have is a maxi jet 600 which I think it gives enough flow but what do u mean by tumble it? did u mean by move it by hand sometimes or get enough flow to pass through the cheato?

You can rotate the ball by hand, but the best method is to get the current to tumble the ball for you so all areas get an even amount of light throughout the photoperiod. Depending on your refugium setup, this may require a separate pump.

You can rotate the ball by hand, but the best method is to get the current to tumble the ball for you so all areas get an even amount of light throughout the photoperiod. Depending on your refugium setup, this may require a separate pump.

Like adding a small powerhead in the refugium?

Archived