Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 bicolor dwarf Angels together?

ItsTheNano

I know they are cheap fish but i recently traded a ocellaris clown pair i had for a few fish and a long with the trade came a small bicolor angel. I really like how he grazes on the rock and its amazing to see where he fits. I really like fish that are very active and swim through any rock hole possible i would like a pair if its possible. Any help is appreciated, if i cant do this i'll just go with my second favorite dwarf the flame angel.

Unless they're a confirmed pair, or you have a huge tank, they'll likely fight.

You may be able to get away with a different angel, but generally they recognize other angels of the same genus and will not tolerate eachother in a small tank.

How big is your tank?

Mixing different angel species together is very risky, especially when there is already one in the tank. I'd probably avoid this unless your tank is massive.

If you want to pair the angel, that's actually easier than mixing species. However, you would have to remove the current angel and keep it somewhere else for a while.

To create a pair, you'll need to make sure that your second angel is much much smaller than your first. It's very similar to pairing clowns, except the gender roles are reversed and the initial aggression between the two is absurd. Once you're sure you have two vastly different sized angels - one which is really small and definitely female, and the other which is much much larger... it may be female or male, it doesn't matter... as long as it's larger it will eventually become male - you're going to want to introduce both angels to the tank at the exact same time.

Unfortunately, mixing two angels in a nano is asking for bloodshed :(

Watch your corals too... pretty sure bicolors are one of the more risky dwarfs with SPS and clams. :)

How big is your tank?

Mixing different angel species together is very risky, especially when there is already one in the tank. I'd probably avoid this unless your tank is massive.

If you want to pair the angel, that's actually easier than mixing species. However, you would have to remove the current angel and keep it somewhere else for a while.

To create a pair, you'll need to make sure that your second angel is much much smaller than your first. It's very similar to pairing clowns, except the gender roles are reversed and the initial aggression between the two is absurd. Once you're sure you have two vastly different sized angels - one which is really small and definitely female, and the other which is much much larger... it may be female or male, it doesn't matter... as long as it's larger it will eventually become male - you're going to want to introduce both angels to the tank at the exact same time.

I have a 60gl tank the bicolor i have at the moment is really small probably and inch or 1" 1/2 but no bigger. I was going to get another the same size but now that u mention that i might get a bigger one how big does it have to be ? Can it be a half inch difference? Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, mixing two angels in a nano is asking for bloodshed :(

Watch your corals too... pretty sure bicolors are one of the more risky dwarfs with SPS and clams. :)

Its not a nano ive upgraded its a 60gl

Wont be doing sps so not really worried im doing LPS mostly

I have a 60gl tank the bicolor i have at the moment is really small probably and inch or 1" 1/2 but no bigger. I was going to get another the same size but now that u mention that i might get a bigger one how big does it have to be ? Can it be a half inch difference? Thanks for the input.

Its not a nano ive upgraded its a 60gl

Wont be doing sps so not really worried im doing LPS mostly

First off, the bicolors have a reputation for nipping both LPS and SPS. They're particularly notorious for destroying all sorts of brain corals species. The bicolors have the worst reputation amongst the dwarf angels. Lemonpeel angels are a close second.

60gls is much too small for different angel species, but should is fine for a pair or harem.

The bicolors are one of the larger species of dwarfs, so chances are that at 1-1.5," it's still a female. No promises though. I'd still make sure that you remove your angel from your tank for a few weeks. Maybe move him into a QT tank. Then once you get the second angel, introduce them to the tank at the same time.

First off, the bicolors have a reputation for nipping both LPS and SPS. They're particularly notorious for destroying all sorts of brain corals species. The bicolors have the worst reputation amongst the dwarf angels. Lemonpeel angels are a close second.

60gls is much too small for different angel species, but should is fine for a pair or harem.

The bicolors are one of the larger species of dwarfs, so chances are that at 1-1.5," it's still a female. No promises though. I'd still make sure that you remove your angel from your tank for a few weeks. Maybe move him into a QT tank. Then once you get the second angel, introduce them to the tank at the same time.

What dwarf angel would you suggest to get that is less likely to nip at lps? I gave the bicolor to my lfs and got some snails instead since my CUC was not enough for my tank size.

What dwarf angel would you suggest to get that is less likely to nip at lps? I gave the bicolor to my lfs and got some snails instead since my CUC was not enough for my tank size.

Cherub angels are supposed to be the safest bet, but even they aren't 100%. Flameback angels are also supposed to be relatively safe too.

But always be prepared for any dwarf angel to nip at coral. It's always a hit or miss with them.

Cherub angels are supposed to be the safest bet, but even they aren't 100%. Flameback angels are also supposed to be relatively safe too.

But always be prepared for any dwarf angel to nip at coral. It's always a hit or miss with them.

I like the flame backs a lot well more than the cherubs. My plan is to get 2 flame backs one less than an inch and the other over 2 inches, i'll keep them in my quarantine for a few weeks or a month and let them pair up while training them to eat frozen and pellets. Does this sound like a good plan? Also do you know other fishes that are easy to par up and swim around in pairs? Reef safe of course and besides clowns lol

Flame angels and coral beauty's have a less chance too. Any angel can nip though and it generally depends on that specific angels temperament.

I wouldn't exactly say angels are easy to pair. There isn't any guarantee that they'll tolerate each other in the long run, but pairing them is certainly not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. The issue arrises when the female becomes too large and the male has trouble keeping her in-line. However, this is usually more of a problem with larger harems (4+). Also, dwarf angels don't necessarily swim in pairs. Just because there is a social hierarchy doesn't mean that the fish are inseparable.

If you want fish that swim together, your best bet is a flasher wrasse harem or maybe a pair of Bangaii cardinals. These options are much safer for your reef and are easier to manage than a pair of dwarf angels.

I like the flame backs a lot well more than the cherubs. My plan is to get 2 flame backs one less than an inch and the other over 2 inches, i'll keep them in my quarantine for a few weeks or a month and let them pair up while training them to eat frozen and pellets. Does this sound like a good plan? Also do you know other fishes that are easy to par up and swim around in pairs? Reef safe of course and besides clowns lol

Two more things:

1. Most dwarf angels are primarily herbivores (ex: Flameback Angels). They need lots of algae to eat, so training them on frozen is not a priority. They will require meaty food as supplements, but not as the staple of their diet.

2. If you're going to try and pair them in your QT tank, then make sure that there is lots of rock or pvc for them to hide in. They will be very aggressive with each other for the first few days to a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't exactly say angels are easy to pair. There isn't any guarantee that they'll tolerate each other in the long run, but pairing them is certainly not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. The issue arrises when the female becomes too large and the male has trouble keeping her in-line. However, this is usually more of a problem with larger harems (4+). Also, dwarf angels don't necessarily swim in pairs. Just because there is a social hierarchy doesn't mean that the fish are inseparable.

If you want fish that swim together, your best bet is a flasher wrasse harem or maybe a pair of Bangaii cardinals. These options are much safer for your reef and are easier to manage than a pair of dwarf angels.

Sorry for the long time to reply i have been battleling an ich outbreak i had (which i lost) and was busy with trying to save my fish. I will restart with fish again in a few weeks. But i have few questions about the flasher wrasse. I really like the carpenter and will most likely get a pair of these. The question is i will also like to add a yellow coris wrasse would this be a problem? As to the dwarfs i really like the flamebacks and i would like a pair of these. The question is would 2 flamebacks be too much for a 55gl even though i believe liveaquaria says they require a minumum of 55gl. What size should i get these if i do get a pair would this work eg: small 1" flameback and a 2" flameback, would this size difference be enough to attempt to pair them?

Sorry for the long time to reply i have been battleling an ich outbreak i had (which i lost) and was busy with trying to save my fish. I will restart with fish again in a few weeks. But i have few questions about the flasher wrasse. I really like the carpenter and will most likely get a pair of these. The question is i will also like to add a yellow coris wrasse would this be a problem? As to the dwarfs i really like the flamebacks and i would like a pair of these. The question is would 2 flamebacks be too much for a 55gl even though i believe liveaquaria says they require a minumum of 55gl. What size should i get these if i do get a pair would this work eg: small 1" flameback and a 2" flameback, would this size difference be enough to attempt to pair them?

8 weeks with no fish, minimum.

Unless you want to battle ich again with your new additions?

Thanks for the input, should i put them in at the same time?

I don't think it matters much unless you get a huge super male coris or something. SOME flasher's can be aggressive but the commonly bought ones (McCosker's, Carpenter) are generally peaceful.

8 weeks with no fish, minimum.

Unless you want to battle ich again with your new additions?

10 months is a better answer than 8 weeks, since there is an ich strain that can stay dormant in your system for 10 months.

Then again I never said I was adding fish.

I don't think it matters much unless you get a huge super male coris or something. SOME flasher's can be aggressive but the commonly bought ones (McCosker's, Carpenter) are generally peaceful.

I will get the carpenters, but just to be safe i'll try to get all three wrasses about the same size.

Archived