Coral Vue Hydros

Nitrate & Ph question

drfu

ph is the least that anyone have to worry.you should just focus on testing the ammonia, nitrite and possible nitrate (that is it) since you are still going thru the cycling.
I agree, have not had any detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites for over a week and now with Salifert tests they seem to confirm that. Nitrates & Phosphorus/Phosphates that I'm focusing on, as of today after wc my trates ate down to 2.5-5 & phos down to .06 as per Hanna Checker. Not going to do another wc for a week to see if anything rises, I'm hoping not considering all i have for a bioload is snail (cuc).

API = general lolz
Lolz?

Lolz is lots of audible chuckling.

I used to use API in freshwater systems and thought it was ok. Then I moved into SW systems, bought myself a Master Kit and thought everything was fine... Until I tried a quality kit. Much like you have discovered.

You have said that you think their hardness is fine, but I know I wouldn't agree with that assessment. I did some comparisons between different alk kits some years ago to determine which was the most accurate and precise. API wasn't bad for precision, but it was not good for accuracy.

I don't know what the variation is between batches of reagents, so maybe the one I tested was a bum run, but QC/QA should catch that before it leaves the factory.

Lolz is lots of audible chuckling.I used to use API in freshwater systems and thought it was ok. Then I moved into SW systems, bought myself a Master Kit and thought everything was fine... Until I tried a quality kit. Much like you have discovered.You have said that you think their hardness is fine, but I know I wouldn't agree with that assessment. I did some comparisons between different alk kits some years ago to determine which was the most accurate and precise. API wasn't bad for precision, but it was not good for accuracy.I don't know what the variation is between batches of reagents, so maybe the one I tested was a bum run, but QC/QA should catch that before it leaves the factory.

Yes, big laugh for API, like you i started in fw, used Nutrafin & API. Nutrafin was even worse in their color charts than API. Never test much of anything except for Nitrates in fw to see when i needed to do a water change, still use API for my fw.

The API comparison i guess just worked out to be the same for me, but thats me just comparing one kit to the other in two tanks, I'm sure with the history of the API kits your probably right on their accuracy. I like using the Hanna, no counting and digital readouts gives you that false sense of accuracy/security that all is fine.

I wish Hanna made a Nitrate kit instead if a Nitrite kit, also a sw ammonia test kit too. Has anyone have any experience with there ph probes? Im not overly concerned about ph, it always seems to be around 8.0 for me on both my API & Salifert tests?

What kits do you use for chemistry?

I like Salifert for chemistry.

My experience with pH is probes is that almost any probe is fine. The question is whether you have good standards and whether you like the meter.

Why?

If you just set up your tank and it looks dead, with no algae growing, it has ammonia in it.

When its growing algae, there's no ammonia in it, a little nitrate in it, and lots of nitrate in it(and phosphate too).

What will you do different knowing the exact numbers, than what your eyes are telling you what you need to do?

Just curious, because I don't know.

I guess for me just knowing at where my tank was during the cycle, planning ahead for when to add my fish. Think that is how i started this thread, now the thread has a lot more to do with just chemistry of a cycled tank as I'm on my second reef build now.

Now i have been more consumed on testing equipment as different brands/types offer different results. Also just learning the hobby from a reef side, as my background was fw and not much to do there once the tank had no ammonia/nitrites there, just water changes and keeping the nitrates between 10-20. Never worried about things like ph, phosphates and such.

If you read my new build you will see what i mean below:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341061-aqueon-15-column-fw-to-reef-conversion-build/?p=4635039

Archived