Cultivated Reef

LONG vent

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

This spring our local school board voted to shut down the Antigo Charter School.  The charter school was founded on principles of hands-on, alternative learning.  In the charter school was a beautiful 125 (may be larger, I don't know my tank dimensions) gallon reef tank- with from what I recall corals, various angelfish, clowns, firefish, etc.  Since the school was closed at the end of May, unbeknownst to me the tank has been abandoned.  The custodian knew enough to add top-off (tap!) water to the tank, but that's it.  When they cleared out the school, they took everything needed to maintain the tank and left the tank itself behind.  

This tank (as well as a 75 gallon African cichlid tank and some large lizards, also abandoned) was bought with grant money.  Because of this and the fact the school is now defunct, it belongs to no one.  No one claims responsibility for it- no one knows how to maintain it.  

Apparently they were paying the now out-of-business Wausau pet store $100 a month to maintain the tank.  To me, that defeats the learning purpose behind the tank, if students are not caring for the tank themselves.  There are no petstores or "pet" anything in about a 75-mile radius here.  

I don't know that I know enough to take on a huge (to me) reef tank, but I hated to see it abandoned and the creatures die.  I have a fairly good idea of how to take care of it and am willing to learn the rest (I read about this hobby like crazy). So, I offered to take care of it.  I was told, "We don't want someone who just has a pretty little saltwater tank at home to take care of it.  We want a PROFESSIONAL.  This tank is like THE REAL OCEAN."  As if I know nothing (I may not be an expert, but I will do whatever it takes and I am free).   Meanwhile, until they find a REAL PROFESSIONAL that they want to pay big bucks to maintain this thing, the tank sits.  What kills me the most is that this could be a great learning opportunity for students.  

Anyhow, I'm rambling, I just thought I'd vent.  

Tasha

I think you should keep talking to people about it until someone tells you to go take care of it. I known you can do it! Talk to anyone in the school system that could possibly help, call your elected officals, the media, etc. That's awful that they are letting it go to waste and die. The other tanks and lizards need help too. Where the heck are the teacher and why didn't they raise a stink about this, teachers usually love their classroom animals!

Heck I'd offer to take it off their hnds so "they" won't have the expence of maintaining it. ;)

So they would rather the tank dies than for someone (free no less) to try their hand at taking care of it? That type of attitude really burns me. Do you have contact info (email, address, phone) for the school or the administration center Tasha? Organized and well thought out (not flames) emails, letters, etc, would likely help and get the tank taken care of.

lizbeth's idea of calling the media is a great one. Call the newspaper and tell them about it. That's the type of story local papers usually love.

ladyamanda

Tasha,

I'd contact the local ASPCA, animal control, etc etc.....Animals need basic proper care topping off a tank w/ tap, or lizards not being fed, kept warm, etc could be worthy of criminal prosecution...and play that up for the media...besides the "waste" of tax dollars...

Alternatively, offer to take the animals to spare them the troble and expense....

Amanda

Mommy to 2 red tailed boas, 2 green iguanasm 2 cats, and a nano reef tank..and former exotic vet tech....

fishymissy

Newspapers are a great idea, so is the local TV news channel. No one likes the idea of animals in a neglectful situation....someone should respond!!!

Good luck and let us know what happens!!

There's no reason you can't take care of the tank.  A 100+ gallon tank is much easier than a nano once the plumbing and other technical stuff is taken care of.

I agree, take it to the paper.

Also, if you have an email address, I'd be happy to write a letter in support of your caretaking of the tank. :)

Guest AbSoluTc

GIVE US NUMBERS!!!  I'll call.  I will raise hell about it!  Then we can threaten a lawsuit for abuse and neglect of animals!  I bet they would let you take care of that tank in a hurry.. hell, even ride you over in a limo with a little " new tank cleaner helper person " ceramony!  

Its all about BAD MEDIA!  Noone wants it.  The thought of having any, makes most corporations, business, schools CRINGE!  It means they have to clean it up, which takes more work, than settling it out of the "media light".  Do it.  Give us numbers!  Media emails.  Whatever!

Threaten a lawsuit.  Tell them the money gotten from it, will be used to turn the old school, into a community center!  Beef it up.  Make it a "for the community" thing.  Press, Media eat it up like tbone steaks.  The community will see a little boy being mawled by a synical society and also jump on the bandwagon!

GIVE US NUMBERS!

I agree with every one else here. I will send emails if we get an email address to those responsable for making the maintenace distitions.

call the news stations, papers, ect.

something will happen.

BustytheSnowMaam

Wow!  You guys overwhelm me.  I'll post numbers as soon as I find out who the best contact would be.

Thanks a lot!

Tasha

Quote: from Korbin on 10:27 pm on July 4, 2002[br]I would go into that school and take liverock/coral/etc.  out for my own tank.    screw them.

you greedy bastard lol

haha right on korbin.  Tasha you should post this on Reefcentral.com's general reef board also, theres some people on there that'll flame someone for putting a tang in anything less than a 200g, imagine what they'll do about something this messed up

(Edited by FamousGuy at 3:38 am on July 5, 2002)

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.. Politicians suck ! SAWVE THE REEF ! If u have the oppertunity to save animals... DO SO ! Even Live rock deserves a chance !

Nishant3789
Quote: from DaveESPI on 5:01 am on July 5, 2002[br]Even Live rock deserves a chance !

LMAO!

lol i agree, if they wont let ya take care of it, sneak in there one night all mission impossible, and get all teh livestock and transport it to ure lfs. lol i dunno, id write an e-mail if u can get us an addy

BustytheSnowMaam

I think I'm going to go over to the administration building today and see what I can do, if I don't get any satisfaction there I'll post addresses and phone numbers.  If there's anyone out there from Antigo/Wausau WI who would like to help me let me know.

It really is a beautiful tank- I haven't seen it for about 3 months, but I believe it has some really nice fish like emperor angels, tangs, clarkii clowns, etc.  I'm almost afraid of what it looks like now!  

I'll post later and let you know what happens.

Tasha

rhinoivory

Its an animal rights issue, I would seriously contact the appropriate board. They should have liquidated the tank by now anyway.

Don

Archived