Top Shelf Aquatics

moving

catchyy

PLEASE someone help. I need to move my fish tank out of my apartment and I need tips on how to do this. The trip is about 30 miles. My tank is an 11 gallon. I have live rock, sand, crabs, fish, anemone, and corals in it right now. What is the safest way for me to move my tank???

Just get two five gallon buckets, but all the fish/corals/etc in one and the sand in the other, fill up with the tank water and then reset up when at new location.

catchyy:

I JUST did this type of move yesterday. I had a five and here is what I did: (I would like to hear what other people think as well)

I put the live rock in a five gallon bucket, completed covered in water from the tank. I think put my feather dusters in one bag, the snail in another and the crabs in yet another bag. I left the sand in the tank with just enough water to cover the substrate. I then taped a plastic sheet (garbage bag) over the tank so the water wouldn't slosh out. I set up the tank yesterday when I got to my new destination. Everything lived and seems to be fine. Note: my drive was only about 3 hours long, so the total time the tank was 'broken down' was about 4.5 hours, so your drive should be fine.

What about just lowering the water level a bunch, taking out your livestock, and putting the tank in a cooler?

Just my idea.

~

Archived