Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do PCs need slash guards?

Spasticat

I want to mount 2 or 3 PC fixtures in a hood 5" off the water. Do they need a splash guard? Should I wrap electrical tape around the square pin base?

Also, anything wrong with using tin foil as a reflector?

And finally, has anyone had good results from the 9 watt PC actinic from hellolights? It's got a nice price, and I think it would add some nice color/growth. Any thoughts?

I ran a dual 32W PC retrofit kit mounted in a canopy 3" above the water with no splash guard for a year. You will have to wipe the bulbs down every month or two.

Spend the extra bucks on a real reflector don't skimp.

If you wrap the plastic base of the PC bulb and the first couple of inches (tightly) with good electrical tape you can make it water proof.

ha^

Prolly close to it!

After a few phone calls, I think I'm going to rest a sheet of glass on the rails that holds the hood over the tank.

That way I can cool the comparment of air that holds the lights, without increasing evaporation

I don't think there is much use in using a splash guard, any barrier between the bulb and water will lessen it's PAR out put. You may need a splash guard if you have like an airstone, or splashing water. Otherwise, you may want to get water-resistant pc sockets, or use the electrical tape. Plus 5 inches is pretty high off the water.

I'd skip on the 9 watter, and just add another larger pc if you can.

For a decent reflector check out hellolights again. Find one that is wide enough, then cut it shorter. Or find a local metal supplier. HTH

Hey Von,

Well I have a wide assortment of bulbs under there, square/straight pin... and random reflectors from retrofits and the stock nano-cube

Thats why I'm doing a completely new hood, I'm sick of being trapped inside the f'n cube!

So... when I transfer the goods over to my ghetto hood (trust me, it will not be pretty to look at), what makes the cut?

The 9 watter is already bought. When I get them all in there, should I just make them water proof by electrical taping where the bulb meets the plastic and call it a day?

I don't know about the smaller PC bulbs, but if I put electrical tape on the base of my 96 watt pc bulbs, it would melt onto the bulb and the socket. You might want to check out the temp the bulbs run at before sticking tape on it... otherwise, you will have quite a mess when you go to change the bulbs.

Well, I've heard that the larger the bulb length, the more efficient it will be versus a smaller bulb. The 9 watt 03 actinic could become an actininc only viewing light, kinda like a moon light, used alone. As for bulb choices, a good mix would be 1 or 2 6500-10000k and an actinic of similar wattage. Stay away from 50/50 bulbs, they suck. With a DIY canopy I'm sure you could fit least 3 24-36 watt sized bulbs in there (1 actinic x2 daylight or 10000k) + your 9 watter.

As for pin styles, square vs straight, its all the same. They do the job equally run off the same ballasts. I would just get single reflector, large enough to house your bulbs.

With 5 inches of space, you may not even need water proofing your endcaps.

If you really want to escape the entrapment of your hood. Instead of a chit load of pcs, add a 70 watt halide. You'll need a glass shield for this though. A good set up would be the 70 watt halide, and as many actinic pcs that you can fit (32 watters are a good size).

The 9 watt 03 actinic could become an actininc only viewing light, kinda like a moon light, used alone

...You're right, and I already have one of those dandy 3/4 watt moon lights, for 24.95!

The 9 watt true actinic was 25.00 with shipping from hellolights, and I'm pretty sure it won't have the "tunnel vision" that my tiny LED moonlight has

Archived