Innovative Marine Aquariums

KND107 - The Goldilocks of Tanks

knd107

Leak Test of the Oceanic 30G Cube

With the location of the sump and the configuration of the stand, its difficult to get a valve in there for the Herbie Drain. Just checking it for now until I figure out what I want to do.

I didn't want to add the valve along the drain and place extra weight on the bulkhead. Plan was braided tube to a valve at the filter sock.

03630846-1931-44B4-99EC-03CE5F3566E4_zps

65AAE1F2-E8F8-461E-B2DF-FB5F86947447_zps

That's a sick set up man !!! So this is replacing the 7.5 gallon right ?!

Nah, I still have that up too. I am replacing my 40G Breeder with a 120G but I had this one sitting around. I just set up it when I had time.

Painted it then it sat for a while and just got around to plumbing. I had all the equipment except that my cement/ primer was old and I needed to get a new set.

This is going to become my anemone tank. *I Think*

Update on the 30G Oceanic Tank:

Overall

0831ED84-9E25-45F1-B825-3D346FCF5920_zps

Back:

122589B0-12F2-42DC-A78C-72FC8F03145F_zps

Sump:

B27D2B4C-130E-4722-8E1E-C284312346E1_zps

Just finished the plumbing with the exception of the emergency drain. I might just leave it there. It is mostly out of the way. Going to then clamp down all the tubing after it breaks in alittle and settles. During the leak test, it was completely dry.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates:

7.5G DBP AIO

WC yesterday and my trio of sexy shrimp are bothering all the zoas. Going to grab some more corals on Thursday and maybe a purple firefish (or pair). No luck with fish lately. They all go surfing. The drawbacks of a rimless tank.

30G Oceanic AIO

Live Rock sitting in the tank with a MP10 and waiting to be leveled. Jeez trying to make sure my stand was good and then I finally notice that its my floor that is slightly off. Of course, I got the composite shims but haven't done the work yet.

Since I'm giving a update anyway, breaking down my 40G Breeder on Friday and upgrading to a 105G Rimless. Still need to sell my 120G Oceanic Tech Tank. I hate to do it since I never set it up. Maybe I'll sell all my smaller equipment then secretly keep it. The only problem is when the wife finds it still in the house then I'm in trouble. Hate to see it sit there unused too.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

7.5G DBP AIO

Just a FTS and I need to make a enclosure for the "new" lights. I just purchased a couple of stunner strips. Planning on using a single white with 2 blues. Right now, I still have the IM light with the blue stunners sitting on the top.

79C04752-6344-4E0A-AFD2-22666DF55266_zps

5B4B43E3-B89E-47A7-8FB7-857B3A362487_zps

30G Oceanic Cube

Still didn't shim the tank but got everything else almost there. Just need to pull together some excess LEDs together and make a light for the set-up.

4DF44D4B-B80C-43DE-95E2-C65945CAB942_zps

Iphone 5S Camera

• Like 1

So, there crazy amounts of pods in my 7.5G DBP AIO and bunch of worms are showing up too.

Nothing is keeping the population in check.

I don't normally care but alot of my zoas are closed up because something is always walking on them - pods, sexy shrimp, emerald crab

So ... ... getting closer to my 105G Rimless Upgrade ... ...

52E044ED-6E64-4221-AE8A-6C92A6786E0F_zps

So ... I moved the 40G Breeder from the spot that the 105G Rimless is sitting now. Everything made it but my anemones split again from the stress. Now I'm up to 6; 4 Red, 2 tri-color/ rainbow.

Got the 105G Rimless shimmed and ready for some plumbing and water. I didn't finish my sump so I think I'm just going to do a temp set-up and let my rock cure. Then install the new sump. As you can see, I don't really finish anything before moving onto something else but I'm going to try.

• 5 months later...

UPDATES:

7.5 DBP AIO

No updates since I forgot to take pictures.... <_<

30G Oceanic Cube

No tank pictures but I move my nems from the 40G Breeder about 2 weeks ago.

Finally finished my "spare parts" LED Fixture which is controlled by a BlueFish Controller (bluefish goes to the 105 when its ready). Still need to adjust the current on my color and UV drivers. Kinda annoyed that I have to use ELN-60-48P drivers but I didn't want to spend any additional money on it. So far, the 30G Cube has been my Frankenstein tank. I made it with left over parts from when I was messing around with other projects.

• Left over sand and rock
  • Spare LEDs and drivers stolen from my 40G Breeder
  • Used Tank and stand were picked up cheap whereas I was initially going to use it as a QT/ Hospital Tank
  • Old skimmer from my 40G Breeder
  • Used sump I got from a local tank breakdown
  • Random plumbing I had
  • Overflow box I made for another tank

I think the only thing I got specifically for this tank was a gate valve.

Samsung Note 4 Camera

20150121_215825_zpscld30twb.jpg

20150121_215857_zpsotoh3k2h.jpg

20150121_215910_zpsfkwk2on2.jpg

In other news, I moved the nems over from the 40G tank. One died the day before the transfer. I was thinking that it was not getting enough light due to being at the bottom of the tank and fighting for space against 5 other nems. A week in another died. Now, the other 2 Rose BTA look terrible every other day. Today was the first day that both looked decent. They switching back and fore from looking almost dead to ok. While the other 2 tri-color ones are taking over even more space.

Water parameters look good and almost identical between the tanks. The 30G Cube was re-cycling live rock from a friend's tank for a couple of months now. A while before I made my last post in this build so worst case at least 3 months but def more. When I transferred, I did a 40% water change from the 40G to the 30G. Not sure what is going on with them. I am going to try cipro if they don't get better in another week or so. They just won't get off that damn rock or I would have started treatment already.

My clownfish looks so lonely without her nems. She hosted between all 4 RBTA previously and never went into the tri-color ones. I didn't transfer her so that the nems could settle into the new tank. Now, I am waiting to see if the RBTA get better before moving the clown over.

I couldn't get a picture of the mouth but sometimes its tight and other times its opened. My profile pic is what all 4 normally looked like. Now, I'm down to 2 RBTA and 2 tri-color.

• 1 month later...

UPDATES:

7.5 DBP AIO

I took down the 7.5. The power to the tank was connected via a switch receptacle in my office and someone turned it off. I think it was off for 8 hours and my sexy shrimp was already dead by the time I got home.

I might set it up in my work office but I am not 100% I will do that.

30G Oceanic Cube

I got a DC3000 return for the 30G but haven't set it up yet. I want to tee a line for a reactor. In other news, I added a firefish and the corals from the 7.5G. Hoping that they make it but they are still all closed up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Big update! Here is the current status of each tank. 

7.5G DBP AIO // 08/21/2017 

599c6644c2ce1_20170821_1738131.thumb.jpg.55f270e02beba565abe489808bca7491.jpg

599c663b9a960_20170821_1739351.thumb.jpg.0195f87cc3671d73e85365ddcf7b6ab3.jpg

Equipment

7.5 Deep Blue Professional w/ custom AIO 

Nanobox Mini 

MP10W

Sicce Return w/ Spinstream 

IM Media Rack 

Cobalt Neo-therm 

JBJ ATO

Fish

None

Coral

Green Rock Flower Nem 

Zoas

Frogskin (?) Acro 

Orange Mushroom   

I restarted this tank to keep some corals I had from my 40G breeder break-down. I ended up moving the conents to the 105G but then decided to restart this tank since I picked up a used nanobox mini. I work from home and this is my office tank. 

No fish yet. I plan on either pistol shrimp and yelllow watchmen goby OR a trio of sexy shrimp. 

30G Oceanic Cube // 08/21/2017 

20170822_144857.thumb.jpg.f91856d27efed90ee684ef08e5fce49a.jpg

Equipment

30G Oceanic Cube w/ custom overflow box 

DIY LED Light 

RW4 Powerhead 

Mag3 Return  

RO 110INT Skimmer 

Ehiem Heater 

JBJ ATO

Fish

Oynx Clownfish 

6-Line Wrasse 

Diamond Watchmen Goby 

Bi-Color Blenny 

Coral

Tri-color BTA 

Rose BTA

Zoas (couple) 

Ricordea 

Blue Clover Polyps 

The 30G is on autopilot and basically gets extra water changes from the leftover SW water from the 105G. 

Adding to this thread is the 105G DSA Tank: 

105G DSA // 08/21/2017 

20170822_144934.thumb.jpg.d8545e58249e8a1676f70c9ed751123b.jpg

Equipment

105G Rimless DSA Professional 

Elite-Aquatics RS-32 Sump 

DIY LED Light w/ Dual T5 

2x RW8 Powerheads 

3k Gyre Pump 

DC6000 Return Pump

DC6000 Pump w/ RO Biopellet Reactor 

Vertex 150 Skimmer 

2x Ehiem Heater 

JBJ ATO

Avast Media Reactors (Not connected yet) 

Lifereef Refugium (Not connected yet) 

Bubble Magus Doser w/ Building An Obsession Containers (Not connected yet) 

Fish

3x Clownfish 

Yellow Tang 

Powder Blue Tang 

5x Blue/Green Chromis 

Diamond Watchmen Goby 

Green Clown Goby 

Coral

Hammers 

Frogspawn 

Blue Stylo 

Zoa Garden 

Blastos 

Goniopora (Green & Pink)  

Mushrooms (Green & Orange) 

Some history on the 105G, I got it running and built the light. After it cycled, I ended up getting a influx of fish from a tank breakdown. I am talking about ~13 fish hitting the system at once. I was going to sell off the majority but in the end, alot of them stayed way too long and I'm finally down to my current stocking. The only fish I added was the powder blue tang and another diamond goby when the other one jumped. 

• knd107 changed the title to KND107 - The Goldilocks of Tanks
  • 3 months later...
RIP Sebastian

It's cool to see someone else with an Oceanic tank and not a biocube. My semi-planted FW community is an old Oceanic 26 Gallon Flat-Back Hex from the 80s. There really aren't that many of them on these forums!

• 11 months later...