Cultivated Reef

ecosystem 60 hob refugium - new in box

bobbittle

Actually, rechecking it, it is a bit high, not much. Shipping weight is approximately 40 pounds, and it is an oversized package, so shipping comes out to about 32 bucks. 35 would be a bit more fair, but 40 isn't bad, counting in supplies (tape, ink, label), gas for the trip to the PO, my time to take it to the PO and wait in line to mail it, etc. But no, I'm not making "serious profit" on shipping. I'll probably lose money on this anyway.

Hey fade2black,

I've seen this posted here before, but I shall take a stab at it again. If you aren't interested in buying you don't need to comment. If the guy wants $40 to ship, figure that out and bid accordingly. Anyone who doesn't consider the "total cost" deserves to pay more. Don't publicly berate the other members please. If you are interested in buying, pm him and ask for an adjustment for shipping to more closely represent actual charges. When I sell on ebay, I use a the furthest zip I can to calculate "worst case" shipping. This way I don't get burned.

Thanks for the time.

gee thanks. I wasn't berating him, just pointing out this blatant ripoff in shipping. I do the same thing you do when calculating shipping. I have shipped items much larger and heavier than this thing and paid about half as much. I was just watching out for my fellow reefers. This hobby is expensive enough as it is.

Forgive me for being bored but I did a little calculation on my own.

UPS

to: 90210 (funny right)

wt: 38# listed at 36 + 2 extra # for packing

size: size of actual unit 30x4x9 I added 2 inches per side for each dimention

dropped off at a UPS store

$34.70 ground shipping

Check the facts before you comment - especially if you aren't buying.

I know it seems I have no life:-)

• 4 weeks later...

not to stir the pot, but that is because you chose the MOST EXPENSIVE shipper around...I did the same specs at fedex ground and it was $22.79 shipped to a residence, or $21.39 for business delivery and 4 day transit time....that is exactly why I use fedex...about half as much to ship, and they are fairly quick...this is only in defense of people jumping down the throats of others out here in nano reef...it SAVES to do your homework...also, the fedex quote was not based using any sort of account, that is just public rate, with an account, it would be even cheaper i would assume...So yeah, fade2black was correct in his post for noting the blatant ripoff for shipping, but that is UPS ripping people off, and fedex isn't...also, if you have a ups account the price drops to $31.35...just info

Regardless of what it costs it's inappropriate to bash the guy for it or question his shipping method especially since now the thread is totally hijacked and off topic.

Archived