Cultivated Reef

ORA Blue Hypnea

hypostatic

So has anyone had any experience with this? I believe I read somewhere that it's supposed to be an even nicer blue than ochtodes. I asked on of my LFSs about it and they said they ordered some in recently, but it was a nice "brown" color and they were very unhappy with it.

bluehypnea_lg.jpg

jedimasterben

I wouldn't say nicer than blue ochtodes, it's really similar, just a much tighter growth pattern and it feels lightly calcified, the branches of it make an audible 'snap' when I am too rough with it.

jedimasterben

It's definitely blue, and older-looking parts of it that look dead are greenish-clearish. I may have killed mine doing my 7 day lights out and dumping peroxide in, it's definitely faded, but looks to be better than it was the past couple of days.

jedimasterben

Any online shops offering it? Petco is the extent of my LFS options...

If your Petco has a saltwater section then they can order from ORA, just ask them to.

We've been trying to get some. I really want to put some in my pico.

I believe it was said to be much easier to manage than blue ochtodes which can get out of control.

One of our local members said it's either not calcified or not enough so some tangs will eat it. Not sure if that was a first hand comment or just a theoretical comment though.

Advanced Aquarist article says:

the color can be many different shades from brown, orange, red, green purple depending on conditions and light. high light will produce the Blue color.

jedimasterben

We've been trying to get some. I really want to put some in my pico.

I believe it was said to be much easier to manage than blue ochtodes which can get out of control.

One of our local members said it's either not calcified or not enough so some tangs will eat it. Not sure if that was a first hand comment or just a theoretical comment though.

It is definitely calcified, but definitely edible. The only thing that won't eat it would be snails and maybe crabs, but herbivorous fish would be all over it.

i never had blue ochtodes get out of control when I had it in my DT (even before I had any tangs or my rabbitfish).

Archived