Top Shelf Aquatics

Jelly on GSP?

bencollinz

Anyone know what this "jelly" on my gsp is?
1294415_537667983870_1331365569_o.jpg

it was also on my pipe organ at one point. disappeared from there after 4 days.

I poked it with my finger and it didn't budge. stayed uniform but not super solid. jello consistency.

Looking at the bubbles in there, I'm pretty sure those are dinoflagellates. Can you easily brush or blow it off? If so, I'd take the rock out immediately and sterilize it. You don't want those to spread.

Looking at the bubbles in there, I'm pretty sure those are dinoflagellates. Can you easily brush or blow it off? If so, I'd take the rock out immediately and sterilize it. You don't want those to spread.

It looks like Dino farts, but I'm leaning towards sponge based on the texture stated in OP.

I agree that the description of the texture is a little bit ambiguous, but:

• I haven't seen any brown sponges that resemble that one before.
  • The presence of air bubbles inside is not typical of most sponges.
  • Sponges aren't really "squishy," but rather somewhat firm.
  • Sponges don't typically grow ON coral.

The fact that this is on the GSP mat (and something similar was found on his pipe organ), combined with the above reasons, leads me to think not sponge.

But I could be wrong, but I'd need another picture to reevaluate my opinion.

I get your point. I've seen all sorts of weird sponges so I wouldn't count that out just yet. Now that I think about it, I have seen a Dino like algea that hugs the rock closer like the pic. Most of the time I've encountered real (IMO anyway) Dino, it's been stringy with bubbles released from the ends of the strings.

Could be just the start of an outbreak or it though. So either way, I'd quaranteen and remove it. Dino is a pain to get rid of.

thank you for the responses. there are no bubbles in it. that's sand on top of it.

you can't swish it off, let alone scrape it off.

amber colored, bubble gum would be a better description.

no stringy, bubbles.

thank you for the responses. there are no bubbles in it. that's sand on top of it.

you can't swish it off, let alone scrape it off.

amber colored, bubble gum would be a better description.

no stringy, bubbles.

Well in that case, it probably isn't dinos and the previous posters are probably right: is most likely some type of sponge or tunicate. Could you post a different picture?

What's interesting is that it your image and description seem to imply that it is growing on your corals, which is not normal.

Yes, another pic would be helpful. Do you dip new corals before adding them to your system? If it were mine, this gsp would be taking a lugols bath.

everything is dipped in coral rx, rps all out and fw. this didn't 'grow', as it showed up literally over night, as well as the GSP had been in my tank for months prior. I believe 'deposited' would be a better word. eggs, maybe?

livestock

Black and White Clownfish - "Mr. Stargazer"

Ocellaris Clownfish - "Mrs. Stargazer"

Orchid Dottyback - "Mama"

Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - "Reuben"

Bi- Color Blenny - "Starburst"

Virgin Nerites

Zig Zag Periwinkles

Nerite Snails

Florida Cerith

Dwarf Planaxis

Dwarf Cerith

Nassarius Vibex

23 Blue Legged Hermit Crab

2 Emerald Crabs

2 Royal Urchins aka Blue Tuxedo Urchin

OP, is it sort of under the mat? I can't tell from pic.

http://www.spongeguide.org/newresults.php?color_box=3&consist_box=3&morph_box=2&searchtype=charsearch&submit=Submit

Like these at all?

I have this on a different coral/rock though.

Clathria%20schoenus%20Molinski-1.jpg

everything is dipped in coral rx, rps all out and fw. this didn't 'grow', as it showed up literally over night, as well as the GSP had been in my tank for months prior. I believe 'deposited' would be a better word. eggs, maybe?

livestock

Black and White Clownfish - "Mr. Stargazer"

Ocellaris Clownfish - "Mrs. Stargazer"

Orchid Dottyback - "Mama"

Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - "Reuben"

Bi- Color Blenny - "Starburst"

Virgin Nerites

Zig Zag Periwinkles

Nerite Snails

Florida Cerith

Dwarf Planaxis

Dwarf Cerith

Nassarius Vibex

23 Blue Legged Hermit Crab

2 Emerald Crabs

2 Royal Urchins aka Blue Tuxedo Urchin

I have this on a different coral/rock though.

When in doubt, siphon it out. :)

When in doubt, siphon it out. :)

Best advice I've read all day.

If I didn't add it (knowingly), and I'm not sure if it's good, then it's out of the tank.

Archived