SaltCritters.com

Chipped Corner of 8g

CollegeNanoKid

CollegeNanoKid

This is the chip of glass that came off, it is all on one big piece. I was thinking about using some Aqueon Clear Silicone Aquarium Sealant to stick it back on to prevent the sharp edge...

Thoughts....?

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/GlassChunk_zps7c331140.jpg.html'>GlassChunk_zps7c331140.jpg

Oh man! How did it happen?

I was placing my glass lid on my tank and it hit the corner (not hard at all) the corner chip came off and went in the tank. I thought the lid broke. I was so confused.

CollegeNanoKid

How in the hell did you do this?

Oh man! How did it happen?

I was placing my glass lid on my tank and it hit the corner (not hard at all) the corner chip came off and went in the tank. I thought the lid broke. I was so confused. Honestly I don't really know why it broke like that.

I am debating if I should get a new tank or try to fix it, can't really see the chip when the lid is on but i'm more worried about structure at this point

CollegeNanoKid

Darn. Wish i can help you. Why dont you contact CADlights?

I did. CADlights has always been really good. They offered to send me a new tank for a good price. However I would rather keep this tank and not switch everything and pay for another tank if I don't need to, even if the tank is cheaper than retail. It is a not a case where they are willing to replace the tank (and I don't think it was an error on their part so I am OK with this) it was great of them to answer my questions and offer me a deal on a new tank.

I just cant decide if it is worth the risk to keep using it, I really think the chip didn't cause too much damage.

Unlikely it would cause a problem as far as leaking or weakening the tank unless there's cracks spidering down from it but that thing looks scary sharp.

I would patch that up to avoid the rough edges. From here it doesn't look to be structural the rest of the glass is intact, and I'd think you would know already if it was with water on the floor.

I would glue that chipped off piece back on just for aesthetic reasons and

to keep from cutting yourself. If your water level is lower use some crazy glue gel. Done.

But if water level does get too high then like you said, use silicone. 2 cents. W-

CollegeNanoKid

Well be careful and put some silicone on there so you wont accidentaly cut your hand.

Good luck. :)

Daauuugh :( That sucks buddy.

Good luck with repairs!

Thanks for the good luck! Roads are all shut down around here due to a snow storm but as soon as they open i'm going to start repairs!

I would patch that up to avoid the rough edges. From here it doesn't look to be structural the rest of the glass is intact, and I'd think you would know already if it was with water on the floor.

I would glue that chipped off piece back on just for aesthetic reasons and

to keep from cutting yourself. If your water level is lower use some crazy glue gel. Done.

But if water level does get too high then like you said, use silicone. 2 cents. W-

Thanks for the advice and reassurance, I can't find any cracks at all after examining it a lot of times. I feel like the tank will be safe to use. The chip is one large piece so I am planning on trying to use Loctite Superglue for Glass (unless someone thinks this is a bad idea?). The chip is above the water line so think it should work OK. The superglue is suppose to dry clear but I don't know how nice it will look. I'll post some after pics.

Thanks for the help! Happy Reefing :)

Bent glass corners are under tension (so I have read) and the sharp edges can be a stress point for a crack to start. If it were me (yes I do have a Cad Lights 8) I would replace the tank and not take a chance of a big mess and dead animals. YMMV.

Mike

Bent glass corners are under tension (so I have read) and the sharp edges can be a stress point for a crack to start. If it were me (yes I do have a Cad Lights 8) I would replace the tank and not take a chance of a big mess and dead animals. YMMV.

Mike

+1. I fret over silly things but that crack would keep me up at night. If you've been offered a good price on a new tank I'd take it. Always better safe than sorry.

CollegeNanoKid

Mike

Do you think switching my sand and rocks over to a new tank would cause a mini cycle and stress the corals a lot? I gravel vac most of the sand during weekly water changes. I am just afraid of messing up the tank chemistry I have worked so hard to get it running smooth. I certainly don't want the tank to break though...

You will get a small cycle. I would keep a cup or so of sand to seed the new tank and rinse or replace the rest of the sand. The rock/corals I would transfer straight across. Any sponge you want to keep should be kept under water.

I gotta go with Mike and farkwar. I may tend to err on the cautious side but to me it would be better on my nerves to just replace the tank. Too many times chips in glass will leave behind microfractures that you cant see until enough force is placed against them. Then you would be scrambling to get a tank and then everything moved (I call this Crisis Mode).

CollegeNanoKid

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

I called CADlights and placed an order for a new 8 gallon tank. I ordered everything except the light. CADLights customer service has been really great to me. I hope the FedEX team is just as nice and the tank arrives in one piece.

I bought sand today I am going to transfer everything to the new tank with the exception of the old sand bed. I am going to put new sand in. I am planning on doing a direct transfer from one tank to the other tank. I am going to put the sand in with 2 gallons of fresh saltwater let that sit over night and then move everything over piece-by-piece and I am going to use 6 gallons of the old water. Any advice please let me know.

Thanks for all the help! Happy reefing

Archived