Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kessil a350

Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

I was pretty much set on getting this light,but every time i log onto NR it seems like someone new is

always trying to sell there kessil after about 5 months of use.

is the light not all that or is people upgrading right after????

What the Kessil doesn't have is full spectrum and controllability via external reef controller. The 350 has two channel dimming so you can adjust the blue/white color mix and the intensity. If you don't plan on an Apex or similar controller, if you don't need to simulate dawn/dusk or storms or the specific weather in a certain location then this might be a great light for you. The Kessil's provide metal halide like shimmer and a nice sleek fixture. I had the A150W over my BioCube and it had good color, shimmer and my LPS and softies grew well. I switched for full spectrum and dual channel dimming. I certainly didn't need to switch and the guy I sold it to loves it.

My advice would be that if you are good with what the A350 offers, buy a used one and save the $$.

I have two 150s (sky blue) over my 40B and I love them. I may add a third (ocean blue or deep blue) at some time in the future, but my coral certainly do not need the added light. the only problem is now I want to hang them from the ceiling at some point.

The A350s are great LED lights. I went from Radion gen 2 to those and liked the simplicity of just turning a knob to get the color I wanted. Most hobbyist change lights like they change clothes because they expect immediate results (ie, growth and color) but never have any light long enough to achieve that result. Some hobbyists rely on other hobbyists to say that they have had excellent results with XXXX LED lights and so the hobbyists switches and more than likely have this illusion that he/she is somehow achieving great results but 8/10 times, it is an illusion in that hobbyist's mind. In closing, it's a great fixture which will give you the same results as most other name brands. It's shimmer feature and simplicity makes it a great lighting for any tank but if you wanting to tinker with your lighting and want unnecessary features for it then it isn't the light source for you.

Kessil have better spread & better shimmer - it's not really like MH it's conisderably nicer, more like sunlight.

What they don't have is controllability or features. I have one 350w and one 360w lighitng my 5 foot reef. I am happy with them but I wish they had some better features. I would have needed 3 radions to cover the 5 foot tank so price dictated my choice (i upgraded one and stuck an old 250w mh on the other side when i took down my t5s) by the time I upgraded the second the a360 was out.

I love my a350w. I have gotten great growth and color out of all of my corals including sps. The dawn dusk thing isn't a deal breaker since it makes bo difference to your carals its more for your enjoyment. Your corals also don't need storms. The co trollability isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as it turns on and off and keeps my corals happy and growing I'm good to go.

I have one and I think the light is great, it's controls are basic but I think that's good - else you fiddle too much. It also gives the perfect look for my tank, so time will tell. I secretly (not so secretly anymore :lol:) want corals to be growing out of my tank to silence all the Kessil haters.

The problem I have with adjustable LED's is people using their eye's to adjust the light for the corals. Our eye's are sensitive to a whole different spectrum of light. You would need a spectrometer to adjust your lighting to get the "perfect" light.. Which most likely you would not like. Kessil's just put out a natural full spectrum light with some control.

I love my Kessil A350W. You couldn't get me to swap for anything. I upgraded from a kessil A150W. I love everything about it from the color to the sleek modern design. More importantly than me liking it - my corals seem to love it!

Spiderguardnano

Check this video this guy use kessil a350w for 6-8 months.

wow thats just amazing

what do you think is a good height to run the light off the tank?

They're really powerful lights. More than you visually pick up on. I have mine about 6 inches from the surface but it's also cranked down to 30% white and blue while my corals adjust.

Ok...since we have a few Kessil people in here. Setting up a 36x18x18 soon and plan to go with the A360. Any chance I get by with one 360W over a 36" tank? (I'm pretty sure the answer is no)

Straight from the Kessil website:

Coverage Area A350: 18" surface radius by 4' to 5' penetration (on average)
A350W: 24" surface radius by 3' penetration (on average)

Archived