Cultivated Reef

All my snails keep dying...

SeriousRX

Icanhazcheeseburger

When you acclimate make sure your lights are off to avoid unneeded stress in your inverts. Also since your hermits are molting, they are growing so make sure you have enough empty shells in your tank so they can window shop. Imho, there might be a possibility that your hermits are killing your snails when you're not watching because they want their shells.. My 2 cents

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MyLiquidBlue29BC

Yeah I think I will need to down grade to the smaller one. I have tried everything with this thing. Aiming at a rock. Upward. Sideways. Directly across. This thing is just too big. Also the auctions cups keeping coming loose...

Thanks for the advice Malawian.

Yeah I know what drip acclimating is I just don't have the tube...

It's funny bc the owner of the LFS said margarita snails are "virtually bullet proof" and I should not acclimate more than 20 min...

Bought another one to test the water after they tested my water and said everything was ok...

The snail has not moved yet...

Take the maxiejet back and get a Korilia. They have magnets instead of suction cups.

Margarita snails are no good in a tropical reef tank. They need a lower temp. Try cerith snail. They are good cleaners and not so picky about acclimation.

Your LFS isn't giving you the best advice. Just take it with a grain of salt and do your own research (like you have been doing) Is there another one you can visit?

Unfortunately there really isn't many options when it come to saltwater fish in my area Alexandria, VA.

I have a petco (the guy that works there knows nothing about fish or he just pretends not to know anything) and LFS about 40 min away in Centreville.

There was a guy in Manassas called Cozy Clown Fish / Aquatic Obsession but last I heard he was closing down...

The guy in manassas was great.

There used to be one right next to me but they relocated and have not opend yet...

I guess salt water fish tanks are not really that big in my area...

I would just order everything on line but I would rather not...I like supporting small business and the fact you can see what you are buying helps as well...

I am going to return the pump today after work and see if he has a Hydor Koralia if not might have to just order it on line.

well if you get all your ducks in a row parameters wise then you might want to try reefcleaners.com. they use only intertidal species of snails which means they need no acclimation other than temperature. much less expensive than an LFS would be anyway. John is a great guy. You can still support your LFS for other things, I do, I just chose to get most (but not all) of my CUC from John.

Archived