Cultivated Reef

Should I just run a hang on refugium?

dottybackss

I have a standard 29g mixed reef and I am wondering is it gonna be good that if I just run a 17 inches medium size hang on back refugium and also a hang on eshopps PSK 100 skimmer. For the refugium I just gonna put cheato and live rocks in it.

Angel<3Nanos
I have a standard 29g mixed reef and I am wondering is it gonna be good that if I just run a 17 inches medium size hang on back refugium and also a hang on eshopps PSK 100 skimmer. For the refugium I just gonna put cheato and live rocks in it.
Sounds good. Tho i would not add LR. It tends to release ditritus. Chaeto will do just fine.

Jmo

Sounds good. Tho i would not add LR. It tends to release ditritus. Chaeto will do just fine.

+1 to this. Skip the live rock - it just makes cleaning out the detritus that much more difficult. I would suggest putting a small powerhead in the fuge to tumble the chaeto. You really want good water movement in there to suspend detritus for the filter/skimmer to extract.

What about live rock rubble? Is live rock and live rock rubble in a refugium is different? My gf refugium have live rock rubble too and ppl put live rock in the sump too? I wanna know why i cant add live rock in the there?

Like if i have some small piece of live rock (like 0.5 - 1 lbs a piece), can i put those in the refugium?

What about live rock rubble? Is live rock and live rock rubble in a refugium is different? My gf refugium have live rock rubble too and ppl put live rock in the sump too? I wanna know why i cant add live rock in the there?

Like if i have some small piece of live rock (like 0.5 - 1 lbs a piece), can i put those in the refugium?

It depends on the size of the fuge.

In a tight space, rubble would be worse. People used to do this thinking it gave more filtration but really it just serves to trap debris. It is more or less outdated. Basically its flow running over rock or rubble in a tight space so the debris can get "stuck/trapped" to the rock and not make it through the filtration.

If it is a bigger area, than some live rock can work just fine (I have it in mine but it is a 20g cube). But if your space will be limited I would go with more macroalgae than rock anyways. The more macro you have, the more it is going to filter the water. You will have plenty of rock in your display.

I would also skip on the LR in this case. I would however invest in miracle mud. Not to preach or be bias about it but it works quite well in smaller fuge setups and corals love it. Just my 2c

Thank you for all the advice.

I've got a HOB fuge. I'd recommend it.

Just a HOB fuge for filtration, how big is ur tank? do u have any other stuff like sump or canister filter?

Oh, no, actually my HOB fuge doesn't do much in term of filtration since it's so small (maybe 1/2 a gallon), and my tank is much bigger relatively, about 15G. It looks like this basically:

marina-slim-power-filter-s20.jpg

The HOB fuge mainly acts as a place for pods and stuff to breed. For actual filtration I am running a canister filter

Oh I see buddy. I think mine is about 3.4 gallon of water, so is this enough to do in term of filtration for a 29 gallon? Also I am not gonna have a sump or any of other filter, if I need to add some carbon in the future, can I just put the carbon with a filter bag in the HOB fuge or just a bit of filter floss in the last chamber?

Ya sounds gd but I m not a fan of CPE so i just gonna put carbon. So is my fuge big enough to take care all the filtration work along with the skimmer?

Ya sounds gd but I m not a fan of CPE so i just gonna put carbon. So is my fuge big enough to take care all the filtration work along with the skimmer?

probably. Depending on stocking tho. I will take a pic of my hob fuge for 20L when I get back home from work.

I have 6 fish and mixed LPS and Few SPS, also I have 29 lbs live rock in the display tank. Flow i have is two hydor 600 and nano 425.

Oh also 20 lbs live sand.

That's a lot of fish. Ofcaurs some fish produce more waste then other but still. I am running hob fuge for my 20g L but it isn't enough. Bought 20g T at Petco $ for gallon tank sale to replace that hob with it. But I guess it comes down to your feeding and water changes routine. It might be enough with help of a quality skimmer.

Btw I have 3 clowns and a 6-line wresse in that tank. However, one of the clowns is in there temporarily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been running an aquafuge with some xenia, chaeto and LR. (I no longer wanted the xenia in the tank so i moved it and the rocks into the fuge). No sand or anything. 24/hr lighting with leds.

I will second that lenses will fry chaeto.

What i like is the flow is so slow through the area of the fuge that most of the detritus drops out of the water column and i can siphon all of it out of the fuge super easy.

I've been running an aquafuge with some xenia, chaeto and LR. (I no longer wanted the xenia in the tank so i moved it and the rocks into the fuge). No sand or anything. 24/hr lighting with leds.

I will second that lenses will fry chaeto.

What i like is the flow is so slow through the area of the fuge that most of the detritus drops out of the water column and i can siphon all of it out of the fuge super easy.

I see. Right now I am using a custom leds which is 18W 6500k. What can i do if there is some red slime aglae grow in my refugium?

I see. Right now I am using a custom leds which is 18W 6500k. What can i do if there is some red slime aglae grow in my refugium?

Usually that indicates a lack of flow. I get cyano in the tank but my fuge area stays clear of it for the most part.

Archived