inTank Media Baskets

Red Sea Max 130.... New to me build

Cycleguy0623

I vote for more flow first, then upgrade the lights. You do not have coral yet so the lights are not that important at the moment.

That was my initial thought but I was thinking that the lights would lower the operating temperature which could be a problem for me in the summer even in Ohio. I'm running at 79 right now with the lights on for 12 hours and a room temp of 69.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll probably end up upgrading a lot. You can't go wrong with an mp10, I have one on my Red Sea Max and its perfect. I also upgraded the pumps and switched the lights out for LED's.

I have upgraded the pump to the one Red Sea offered free. There is more flow for sure.

What LED upgrade did you do? I'm stuck between the Steve's LED, RapidLED or a DIY option.

Did you see the tanks operating temp drop when you switched?

I actually hung a Reef Breeders LED over the tank. I like the topless look of it. I have no problem keeping my temp at around 78. That being said, I have used Steves LED's on an old Biocube 14 and had a very good experience. I'm not sure how the kit is for the Red Sea Max.

Good move on that replacement pump

Thanks! I think the Steves LED Kit dose look like the best quality.

I cant hang a fixture. The wife likes the AIO look and wants to keep it that way for now.

My next tank down the road will be an open top though.

I had a topless RSM130 with 150 watt MH light on it about five years ago before kids. Lol. I really liked that tank. The look was great. For me I need the lid to keep small hands and toys out of the tank while I am not home. I have never used LEDs, but they have came a long way since I last left the hobby.

Well big day today for the tank.

Added a Reef Cleaners CUC and an MP10wes!

The MP10 is amazing. I put it in and got things dialed in then used nutrient transport mode and blasted a bunch of stuff out of the rock.

Very excited. I picked up the MP10 from a local reef club member who was fantastic! He actually gave me a small start of some kind of mushroom that looks fantastic. Pics should follow soon.

I'm also looking at adding a Tunze 9002 skimmer with InTank cup, InTank media basket very soon as well.

Ok so time for an update.... I love my MP10 the flow in the tank is amazing. The two little clowns spend most of there day surfing the tides on the MP!!! it's so much fun to watch.

I also just ordered an Echotech Radion Gen2 from a member here to upgrade the lighting and I will be getting the Tunze 9002 within the week as well. ( I cant wait for that one as the stock skimmer is the loudest part of my tank by a long shot.. The stock pump is also going out)

I'll be retrofitting the hood this weekend with Eloith and trying to keep as much of the stock look as possible.

The guy I bought the mp10 from gave me a sweet little mushroom frag and it appears to be doing well so far. I dont know a lot about it but will post in the ID forum so I can figure out exactly what I have.

There are some Awesome people in this hobby! I will be sure to add before and after shots as well as build shots this weekend.

Glad you found some local reefers. It is a big help. I was looking at the MP10ES and now I think I need to start looking for one on sale after your comment. Can not wait to see the current pics

Updated the equipment piece on the first page with a bunch if new stuff! It will all be going in this weekend. I'll post some pictures as we progress! I can't wait to get the Tunze skimmer in there it will be nice to hear my tv again :P

Also looking or some fish suggestions. I'm probably 4-6 weeks out from the next addition but I'd like to start looking into options.

How long did it take you to get the Red Sea replacement pump? I was dealing with Pinky as well.

I had mine in about 14 days

Ok so the Radion cam in today and man that thing is fun to play with. I have decided to gut the stock hood and install it up in the hood. Should keep the slick stock look but improve the lighting... Not that the t5 lighting is a slouch but it dose throw a tone of heat. I will be moving the stock fans aroung a little to create a little more flow over the new light.

Just holding the Radion over the tank tonight I was astonished with the shimmer effect.

photo.jpg

I cant wait to install this Saturday! It's going to look sick!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Do you have any pictures of the install of the radion in the RSM hood? How did that process go? I have the stock RSM lighting and am certainly interested in better lighting options. I too considered Steve's Leds - but if you can fit the Radion in the hood that would be awesome. My wife too, likes the look of the AIO with the hood, so I have to find options that keep the hood on the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived