Top Shelf Aquatics

Looking to id this hitchhiker

GobyMan

I originally thought this was a sea squirt, but now I'm not so sure. There are now 3+ of these guys and they seem to be growing and multiplying....

Any ideas???

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown1.jpg

It looks like a type os Valonia (bubble algae) but brown. They are usually blueish green to green in color. I see you have one green bubble below the brown ones.

Usually ok as long as they do not get out of hand so keep on top of them.

Cameron

I agree, it looks like red valonia, its not as common as the green.It won't do much harm unless it really starts to spread. If you remove it from the tank be careful not to burst it, it contains spores and then will spread more. If you do remove it I would suggest using tweezers, but if it doesn't spread to quickly you really don't need to. Also emarald crabs favorite food is valonia, but read the facts on the crab, they may be more trouble than there worth.

I agree it looks like a valonia, a brown/reddish one at that.

I just remove these as they appear on one particular rock in my tank. Just be careful not to burst them.

I carefully remove them with any flat object. I keep an airline tubing attached to a tong to quickly siphone out any spores from a burst bubble. Once or twice I did burst them, but I got the spores out right away.

I would tend to get rid of them when they arent a major problem.

cyano covered sponge? the air bubbles make me think it's a porous surface versus the valonia next to it. underneath the red haze i see some cell/lattice structure.

good closeup pic anyway! ;)

That is why I was thinking that is wasn't just a different color of bubble algae....it has multiple colors: maroon/pink and looks like it has an opening on the top portion.....I will try to get a better picture...

Thanks for the help :)

Also note the transparency of the green valonia bubble. The reddish bubbles are not transparent.

I don't think it's valonia, but other than that I have no clue.

Archived