Pod Your Reef

Orange hitchhiker coral

swamped

Anyone know what this is? Its about the size of a quarter. It was hidden on the back side of a live rock, but when I noticed it, I rotated the rock so it is up front.

It hasnt retracted into a hole anytime since I noticed it a few days ago. The most it does is retract the small tentacles around the perimeter. The edges then curl up just a small amount.

Yes, this is Florida rock from TBS.

(and thanks for the replies! I'm really new to this and am trying to figure out what all the stuff on my rock is. )

AReeferIsExpensive

"small tentacles around the perimeter" (its feeding)

Does it puff up? Is it hard like it has a skeleton under the tissue? or more mushy-like?

Try to match it to a pic on the net n identify it like that. To me it looks most like a tiny fungia or brain (but its attached to the rock right?) then a candy cane head or a blastomussa head.....

hummmmmm~

Well, in the previous picture it was puffed up as much as it ever was. It is definately soft.

Last night I got home it it looked like it totally retracted; either that or it is now dead. This picture is what it looked like last night. It looked the same this morning.

Since I found this think in the tank(over a week ago) it has never retracted like this before. It had curled up some, but there was always alot of the orange base visible. As of last night, there is no orange base visible.

So I'm wondering if it is now dead :-( I'm kind of hoping it comes back because it was looking pretty cool under the actinic lights.

The only change made to the tank was that I added a Green Clown Goby one day before this thing totally closed up. Its the only fish in the tank, all the params are same( Amm 0, Ni 0, No near 0 ). I have not see the goby go anywhere near this thing, he usually stays near the bottom of the tank.

So what do you think is this thing dead or just hiding?

AReeferIsExpensive

look like it WAS a fungia plate or somethin....

sorry~ At least it was free!

i lost a brain..and it wasnt close to free ;)

CrocoDillon

I dont think it was a fungia, but some sort of open brain coral... fungia have tentacels all over the plate, while some open brain corals have them in circular pattern like the one above. The skeleton looks the same of my dead 1, (luckily that 1 was free too, bad condition at LFS).

It's dead but leave it there, sometimes, when the environment gets better, it might grow back. good waterflow and moderate light to prevent detritus and algae. :)

Thanks CrocoDillon and reefer,

I'm sure it WAS one of the 2, but it surely is gone now. I'm going to leave the skeleton alone in the hopes that it will come back, but the skeleton is now my peppermint shimp's favorite thing in the tank; he picks at it all the time, so I doubt it will come back.

I'm definately glad I didnt pay for it ;-).

• 1 month later...

Archived