inTank Media Baskets

a dumb mistake

tetraodon

so in the excitment about getting a new coral i was making a new rack and used some silicone, i waited till the silicone was dry to the touch to put the rack in the tank, today i came home and the tank is cloudy, ive done 2 water changes now and im running carbon, is there anything else i can do to make sure the tank doesnt crash?

it might not have been, it was mostly firm with one small spot that was slightly soft, but the whole surface was dry at least

I believe it just gives off acetic acid (vinegar). Keep an eye on your PH. It's a fairly week acid and it's probably not putting out a ton of it.

Silicone is pretty hazardous before it fully cures. Run a ton of carbon and do lots of water changes or you could easily lose everything.

That's probably better. The silicone will continue to leach until it cures, and there's no telling how long that can take underwater, if at all.

As of rihht now ive several water changes and ran lots of carbon, this morning all the coral was pissed off and stressed but I didnt loose anything and hopefully wont, my pistol shrimp didnt seam to notice anything, the rack xame out as soon I had the idea about the silicone

Archived