Top Shelf Aquatics

Not liking kalk, sick of Bionic, you also?

MrKrispy

Hey yalls

I think I am officially done trying kalk. I clogs up my pump lines and is just too high of a pH in my 20gal. I try vinegar method and my alk drops. I am sick of my B-ionic because the alk part is too high of a pH, I can't stand around 5 times a day and drip in a few mLs each time. And then repeat a few days later.

So after researching on the Reef Chem forum on RC, here, and elsewhere, I wanted to try this:

powered Calcium (when my B-ionic runs out): Liquid calcium is more expensive.

baking soda -- dissolves easy, doesn't increase pH

B-ionic Magnesium as needed.

I would only have to add crap once/twice a week. Much better than 5. I use NSW, and the alk and Calcium is lower than what I want. My SPS are starting to grow and water changes won't keep up now.

SO: a short story long, any thoughts? Anyone else do this?

Been there, done that.

Wait until you're adding liquid calcium (calcium chloride) and baking soda every day WITH kalk.

I was inches away from buying a reactor but gave up and decided to do all softies from here on out.

Just get a kalk reactor and be done with it. Dump in a pound of kalk and run your dosing pump through it and you're good. I've been doing it for about a year now and I just add more kalk every 6 months or so. VERY low maintenance and I dose kalk 24/7.

I don't have a sump, don't really want to convert my whole system. Now for the next tank upgrade that is another matter!

(Starphire custom, drilled, sump, etc...)

You can also drip it into a high flow area as well, like you were doing before I'm sure. But you have the added benefit of not having to makeup kalk constantly and the dosing pump can be adjusted to match your evaporation rate, thus giving you a much more stable system. Just my $.02 :)

brahm you're following me heh heh

I have SPS so yah, my NSW changes are no longer keeping up. Plus I wanna get into some clams, so to speak. I might be able to get some bigger tubing for my peristaltic pump to keep the kalk from clogging.... but then it will take forever to figure out the new topoff rate and the pH swing from the kalk. Ugg.

Peristaltic pumps were not designed to dose kalk, that is why it is clogging. If you just dose freshwater through it you won't have any problems :) I'm sure you know this.

Archived