Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Saltwater mixing, what tool do you use?

Steelen

I have a brute trashcan with a line coming off of my RODI unit connected to a float valve in the brute. In the brute I have a 100W jager and Koralia nano 240 running all the time. When I do a water change, I just come back to the brute the next day, check the salinity with a refractometer, and add some salt to make up for what I took out and walk away.

I used to hand mix. It worked pretty well.

What I do now is I measure out the salt and water in separate buckets and dump the water as quickly as I can into the salt bucket without making a mess. It's usually enough motion in itself to get the salt mixed.

Have you ever seen the salt flash doing this? Pretty cool... Idk if it has any adverse effects on levels though.

5g bucket, spare heater, 800gph powerhead that I used in my 40b when it was running. Then I have a MaxiJet 900 I use for pumping the water to the tank.

Put the dry salt in a 5 gallon bucket. Get the water from the tap up to 79. Mix them both (as the water fills the bucket) with a wooden spoon and then finish off with a small powerhead for 10 mins while I turkey baste and remove the dirty 5 gallons from the tank. Pour new saltmix into DT.

Ta-da done ;)

Always add salt to water, not water to salt. The extreme salinity when you start adding water to salt will cause precipitation.

Always add salt to water, not water to salt. The extreme salinity when you start adding water to salt will cause precipitation.

I've found the same thing to happen when mixing cold. I always heat first, then mix.

NirvanaandTool

I mix water in a 33g Brute trash can and usually mix the salt by hand and then use an old Tunze 6025 powerhead & a 150 or 200w heater. The Tunze is starting to go though so I need to upgrade that pump sometime soon.

Well I guess it's true that you're never too old to learn something new lol. Been mixing salt this way twice a month for 20 years...will do it the other way round next time and see what difference it makes :) Thanks.

Well I guess it's true that you're never too old to learn something new lol. Been mixing salt this way twice a month for 20 years...will do it the other way round next time and see what difference it makes :) Thanks.

Don't change on my account, whatever works. :)

20 gallon food-safe containers, plumbed into a vertically oriented mixing station. A Koralia 425 dropped into the saltwater jug does the mixing and a Danner Mag 5 delivers water to the sump or ATO reservoir.

I just finished building this whole thing on Thursday, so I'm pretty excited to do my next water change.

:)

Archived