Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sun Sun HBL 701 HOB Filter/Skimmer

Sherman Merman

Sherman Merman

Hey everyone, just wanted to give my review on the Sun Sun 701 Filter/Skimmer. I came across this filter while looking for an inexpensive surface skimmer to attach to my HOB filter. There are few reviews on this product so I wanted to share my experience. I only really wanted a surface skimmer to take care of the film that appears on the surface. This filter/skimmer does exactly that.

Pros:

$19 with shipping included

Skims surface film (I'm pretty OCD with the surface film)

Cheap & Efficient way of skimming the surface

Came with 2 thick sponges to help catch poo and bubbles. They're thick enough to cut in half and still be effective at catching particles in the water.

Cons:

Cheap flimsy plastic so be careful when handling

Filter/Surface skimmer needs to be primed when being turned back on. (Not a big deal, but the skimmer can be kind of tricky to get right.)

Can't open the filter floss/carbon inserts. New ones cost $2, but the filter is big enough to put sponges/floss carbon, just have to rig it up yourself.

Takes up a bit of space in the tank, but not nearly as much as a stand-alone surface skimmer

I've only had the filter for a month, but I couldn't be happier with it. My chemical filtration is done with the LR, and I do a 10% WC weekly

I highly recommend this product for anyone who wants a cheap way to skim the surface film, without having a really bulky surface skimmer.

Here is a link, you can also search Amazon.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ReSunPowerFilter.html

Archived