SaltCritters.com

yellow thing on live rock, is a coral? or not? or pest?

jcdsr3

I consider Clathrina sponges pests. I've now lost several coral to this sponge. It was fine in my tank for a long time but has started going crazy in the past 6 months. I'm still trying to find a way to kill it.

IMAG1195%20(Custom).jpg

I consider Clathrina sponges pests. I've now lost several coral to this sponge. It was fine in my tank for a long time but has started going crazy in the past 6 months. I'm still trying to find a way to kill it.

IMAG1195%20(Custom).jpg

Whoah thats crazy!!!

My stuff looks nothing like that, just yellow balls that never get bigger than nickel sized. Can't you physically scrape or pull this stuuf off of your rock work and corals?

It started with the same ball shape and then began encrusting over a lot of rock after about a year. Possible there were 2 types of yellow sponges in the same area, but initially it looked exactly like yours. This picture is really bad but it still has that lacy fibrous appearance.

It's attached very well so almost impossible to scrape off. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to throw an angelfish in there and see if it can't knock it out for me. Have a whole list of suggestions for getting rid of it, but many could potentially be quite destructive.

Archived