Coral Vue Hydros

Some help on Nikon d3100 lenses....

Chris!

Wife picked us up a Nikon D3100 with the 2 basic lenses (18-55, and 55-200). She mostly just got it for taking pics of the boys, but I am looking for some ideas on decent macro lenses. I'm not in any rush to get one right now just trying to do some homework to make a good decision when the time comes :)

I've read the 90mm tamron is good for most shots

40, and 60 nikon micros are good but require getting close/ maybe to close to be usable in a reef

85, and 105mm are both pretty good for reef

50mm (nifty fifty..) with a reversal ring or extension tubes will get pretty good "macro" cheap.

Not sure if it will make a difference but I would like to be able to do top-downs (likely w/ box) and through glass shots (prefer same lens but if better to have two that could eventually be done).

So what would you suggest?? I am thinking I will want to stay around $500 max, but might be willing to spend a little more if its worth it.

40 and 60 would require getting too close probably, my bf has a canon 100mm which works well so the 105 may be a good option. It depends on what you really wanna do.

40 and 60 would require getting too close probably, my bf has a canon 100mm which works well so the 105 may be a good option. It depends on what you really wanna do.

Yeah thats what I have been reading more lately with the 40-60 and even possibly the 85, although I see the tamron 90 suggested quite a bit...

I wanna do it ALL! lol..... no seriously tho, I want to be able to take good macros through the glass, and in top down situations (even if that requires a top down box). I think I will be able to get decent enough fish pics with the other two lenses I have so I am not overly concerned with that at this point, more looking for an atleast decent coral shooter for around $500... or less :)

haha! you sound like my bf he is always deciding on new things to shoot to justify buying new lenses.

Tamron makes good lenses, the nifty fifty is ok, i personally find exension tubes annoying haha. If you can find the Nikon 105 used in your price range it seems to be a better lens with better reviews, if not get the Tamron 90

Have you checked DPreview? they will have tons of info on there :)

haha! you sound like my bf he is always deciding on new things to shoot to justify buying new lenses.

Tamron makes good lenses, the nifty fifty is ok, i personally find exension tubes annoying haha. If you can find the Nikon 105 used in your price range it seems to be a better lens with better reviews, if not get the Tamron 90

Have you checked DPreview? they will have tons of info on there :)

Yeah if I do the nifty fifty and extension tubes I will get the AF ones for a little extra just to retain that if I want/need to use it lol

Yeah I have been reading all kinds of reviews on multiple sites and other fish related sites as well to get more perspective from people who actually shoot what I will use the lenses for. The Tamron 90 and nikon 105 both seem to be highly suggested, with a few using the other ones I've mentioned in my original post. The Tamron 90 and 60 both seem to have the same working distance with my camera and the 60 has IF so it doesnt extend out which is nice (the 90 version has it on the $650 one but not the 500 supposedly....). Good thing I'm not in a hurry to decide lol

Look up b and h photo. com.... Best place to order camera equipment. Go with the Nikon lens.

Human eye sees at 50mm

Yeah they are one of the places I have been checking out...... Are you saying go with the 50mm lens? I actually listed like 5 different nikons I am "considering" that I have heard good things about.

remember you have cropped sensor so 85mm isn't too bad.

Yeah I don't really understand all that stuff, this is my 1st DSLR and it was a quick hey lets go get this kinda thing as our other camera (a nikon L120, super zoom/P&S) wasn't working right and my wife uses it for work.... but I remember reading the 85 is the equivalent of over 100 on my camera (don't remember exact # right now, wanna say like 113 or something), but I know the 60 is supposed to be the equivalent of a 90, so would I be better to save the extra couple hundred and buy the tamron 60 with the AF and IF since it is basically the 90mm for my camera if I decide to go the tamron route... or even the nikon for that matter correct?

I have the Tamron 60mm. You can check my threads for pics. I got my Tamron 60mm for $300 new so I can't complain. If I have the money, I would get the Nikon 105mm for sure though. The 60mm is not close enough.... 85mm is probably the shortest you should get.

Personally, I would sell the kit lenses and buy a super zoom first(18-200DX, 18-300DX).

You can take basic "macros" with it. And everything else you can think of, in one lens. And no need to even think about 'cropped' lens nonsense.

Then invest in specialty lenses.

Everytime you take off a lens to change lenses on a Digital SLR you are increasing the amount of dust on the sensor, in my experience. With lens off body always point body down.

I had no dust at all until I bought my second lens, and got notable dust spot the very first time i changed lenses. If your model can auto clean sensor, set it for turn on and turn off. Never use canned air, get a rocket blower.

You can fix any super zoom distortion in PS and LR, and will take less time and effort than cloning out dust spots. And for corals, any super zoom distortion will be unnoticed/invisible.

I have the Tamron 60mm. You can check my threads for pics. I got my Tamron 60mm for $300 new so I can't complain. If I have the money, I would get the Nikon 105mm for sure though. The 60mm is not close enough.... 85mm is probably the shortest you should get.

Your pics look great, nice and clear. Do you use the tamron 60mm for the fish shots as well? I do agree for true macro anyway it isn't quite as close as I would like to get, but for the money I wouldn't rule out picking one up just to have it for kinda midrange macros at some point anyway.

Personally, I would sell the kit lenses and buy a super zoom first(18-200DX, 18-300DX).

You can take basic "macros" with it. And everything else you can think of, in one lens. And no need to even think about 'cropped' lens nonsense.

Then invest in specialty lenses.

Everytime you take off a lens to change lenses on a Digital SLR you are increasing the amount of dust on the sensor, in my experience. With lens off body always point body down.

I had no dust at all until I bought my second lens, and got notable dust spot the very first time i changed lenses. If your model can auto clean sensor, set it for turn on and turn off. Never use canned air, get a rocket blower.

You can fix any super zoom distortion in PS and LR, and will take less time and effort than cloning out dust spots. And for corals, any super zoom distortion will be unnoticed/invisible.

The lenses I have now work just fine for what we got them for, I have no interest in selling them and getting a non-macro dedicated lens..... I have no interest in selling them for a macro lens even really. The original intent for getting the camera was to take pics of my sons, tank is secondary to them. I'm not really looking for basic macros, I can take "basic macros" with my current lenses and cropping the shot, or get a cheaper macro lens and be set.

Just kinda seems silly to sell my lenses that work for what I got them for in order to get other lenses and then need other lenses to do the job I am looking for lenses for. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Yes, I believe my camera has the sensor cleaner..... FWIW I have swapped the lenses probably 100 times and don't notice any dust spots and I have no idea how to set up the cleaner at this point so I doubt it is being used lol I swap them quick and put caps on quickly, never open more then a few seconds.

Your pics look great, nice and clear. Do you use the tamron 60mm for the fish shots as well? I do agree for true macro anyway it isn't quite as close as I would like to get, but for the money I wouldn't rule out picking one up just to have it for kinda midrange macros at some point anyway.

I use my 24-120mm f4 for fish shots because Tamron 60mm focus is kinda slow. And Tamron does not have VR so it's a pain to use handheld. The Tamron is also great for portraits since it has a fast f2.0 aperture.

I use my 24-120mm f4 for fish shots because Tamron 60mm focus is kinda slow. And Tamron does not have VR so it's a pain to use handheld. The Tamron is also great for portraits since it has a fast f2.0 aperture.

Yeah it seems like a good multi-use lens atleast. Definitely not making this easy.... I feel like I am quickly gaining a 2nd expensive hobby lol

Chris,

I was just giving my experience, the second or third best reason to get a super zoom.

There are a lot of reasons NOT to get one. (Why buy a DSLR in the first place if you're only going to keep one lens for it being the best reason).

Last year after I bought my D800e, I was on a beach. I was there to do my landscape stuff, which I got.

But there was a herd of sealions fortuitously there, and unfortunately out of reach for my "real lenses". Moving any closer, they started for the sea.

I desparately put my 18-200DX on, and at least got some shots of them. When I got home, I ordered the 28-300; its either on or always in my bag now(What idiot buys a D800e and puts a super zoom on it?, duh).

If your primary target is your kids, auto fast fifty would be my first lens. It still may be too tight indoors on the DX, try an auto fast 35; its a lot more expensive though. I left plenty of butt marks on walls with the 50 on my DX camera.

In the end, if you dont know what lens you want to buy next, rent first. Borrowlenses dot com, try before you buy. You can't go wrong doing that. Dont be afraid of putting expensive FX lenses on your 3100, either(as long as you can focus them). You never know when youll upgrade, cant hurt if you never do either.

I disagree with buying a super zoom unless you have a need for it... Somehow I doubt the guy in MI is going to see sealions very often :P It all depends on the person, my dad primarily uses super zoom whereas my bf never does.

Rule of thumb though for any lens you are buying, buy the best you can, your glass is the most important part.

I disagree with buying a super zoom unless you have a need for it... Somehow I doubt the guy in MI is going to see sealions very often :P It all depends on the person, my dad primarily uses super zoom whereas my bf never does.

Rule of thumb though for any lens you are buying, buy the best you can, your glass is the most important part.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.... Being in Flint if anything it would increase my odds of being witness to a murder or something... no thanks lol If we move to TX like we are talking about doing I could likely see a use for it tho or vacations so I wouldn't entirely rule it out, just not on my to get soon list.

Yeah I have been told that many times by others, the lens is more important then the camera itself. I am happy with the quality of the 2 more "stock/kit" lenses I have already but I can see as my fondness and experience grows they will likely collect dust for most instances as I am sure there are definitely better choices.

Agree with above... My wife's a photographer. Lens #1 camera body 2nd.

50mm is what the human eye sees at. My wife uses the 60mm Nikon micro for herself but for fish tank pictures go with the 105mm.

Agree with above... My wife's a photographer. Lens #1 camera body 2nd.

50mm is what the human eye sees at. My wife uses the 60mm Nikon micro for herself but for fish tank pictures go with the 105mm.

Yeah I think I have it narrowed down to the nikon 105mm micro, or the 90mm Tamron with IF and VR for a few hundred less. I think either should get the job done quite well. If I can spring for the 105 I think I will do so, but I don't see the 90 as being a bad alternative from what I have seen/ read so far.... and the price difference allows for another decent "walk around" lens.

FWIW I don't plan on starting a photog business, nor will I likely win any awards with my skills, just looking for something to get good shots and I think both of the above mentioned jobs will be capable of achieving what I want to do :) I will likely try to rent or borrow them for a few days before making my final decision/ purchasing either tho since they are both out of my initially ideal budget.

wow, i didn't know Tamron released a new version of the 90mm. Looks sweet. $100 rebate ends 12/31.

Yup, Im going to wait still not a big rush. But that will likely be the one I go with.

Archived