Pod Your Reef

Tomato Clown Fish

RouletteDares00

RouletteDares00

I really want a Tomato clown fish. Could I fit him in a small 6gallon tank or should I upgrade to a ten gallon. He will be the only fish in the tank and this is going to be my first saltwater tank, any ideas?

RouletteDares00

Thats what I thought, would an Eclipse 6 be fine, all I need is a heater? I'm gonna use crushed coral as the substrate.

are you serious? a full grown tomato clown will be over 5 inches long! way too big for a 6, and even a 10gal IMO.

Roulette:

I do agree a full-grown tomatoe clown would be a bit much. I had a small one in a five gallon for months and he seemed quite happy. He (why do I say he?) was the only fish present and burrowed into my feather dusters like they were anenomies.

• 2 weeks later...

And don't use crushed coral in that tank either. Please use sand or something that will help the tank and even then, in a six gallon tank, expect to do regular water changes!

Steve

ghostbear29

tons of reefers hav used tomato clowns in the nanos. i see no problem. they are a species of damselfish and can be territorial, especially in smaller areas. the needs are not different from other clowns and are very hardy. They can get big in big tanks and with copious amounts of food as well, but yours will grow to average size and with good water, live a happy life. good luck.

Archived