Pod Your Reef

what kind of coral is this?

mosquared

I got this coral today when I went in to the LFS to get Star polyps and noticed they looked- nasty. SO I noticed these polyps and thought they were kick-a**! Well, they were sold under the name short polyp coral. I am guessing, they are zoo's. But what kind are they? THey are rather small. . . So I'm not completely sure what they are. ANyways, here is a picture. can anyone tell me what this colony is? thanks!

I tried, didnt work. yeah i think they may just be zoo's. But since they are my first corals, im not sure. Hey- by the way- I talked my LFS into selling it to me for 25 dollars. is that a deal? ITs (i think) a nice size.

Hard to tell from the picture what size the rock is. If you like the coral and think you got a deal, then it was worth the money right? :)

Goniopora? what is that ? is it the same as zoo's?

Im just wondering becuase, I just dont want to get ripped off by the LFS. ALso, what should I feed it? I have heard about those coral feeds, where you put tons of seafood together in a blender and then feed it to the corals. Assuming that they are zoo's, will they eat this?

Your picture is of a goniopora sp. They can be quite difficult to keep, although some reefers think that some colors of goniopora are hardier then others. Without knowing any details of your tank and your experience, my recommendation is you read up on them and decide if you are up to the challenge.

BTW: thats a very nice piece and a steal at $25. easiy could fetch $75+ in a retail store.

See, I dont believe it could be a flower pot. A flower pot extents more doesnt it? and plus these are really same polyps. All of the flower pots that I have seen are much much larger than this. Or is this just a "baby" colony? haha.

Oh god, Don t tell me it s a flower pot. Please. . . - I dont know much about corals but, I knoe flower pots = No. ANyways, its about 4.5" by 4" . Does anyone happen to want to buy it at $75 . . .

It is a beautiful piece of coral, but I am sad to say it will most likely die. You should talk to the fish store, but they may be a lost cause.

For your first coral, this is going to be a depressing start. See if they will credit/swap first and then come back and maybe someone can help you further.

Good luck,

Chris

My limited knowledge says that goniopora isn't flower pot. Alveopora is flower pot and the polyps are longer and larger. This looks like gonio. I have gonio in a hot pinkish orange color and resembles the picture.

ok ok ok, nice;) . Please tell me I have some luck. . .. Please. I'll try to sell it to another LFS. com'on dodgerblew, tell me I'll do fine. I should have just gone with the star polyps!:blush: Shoot. . . Well, they were nasty anyway.:*(

AReeferIsExpensive

mos....if it makes you feel any better, my second coral was a goniapora b/c was free. The thing is still doing perfect and its been months and months. If you are stuck w/ it, you could trade, or take your chances. If it starts going down hill im sure someone here or on RC would buy it. Just not for 75~ esp after u add on S&H

g/l

goniopora and alveopora are both sold as/called flowerpots, but you re right, usually it is the long tentacled ones that get the label.

I think you can count th number of sweepers on each skirt and that can tell you which family it is. One is 24. I found this tibit somewhere:

The Flower Pot Coral is aptly named. The polyps of this coral look like tiny flowers. Unfortunately, this coral can be difficult to care for; so despite its stunning appearance, it may not be appropriate for every aquarium.

This record refers to the Flower Pot corals of the genus Goniopora. Goniopora sp. corals are very similar to less common Alveopora sp. corals which also have the same common names. While Goniopora sp. corals are very difficult to keep alive on a long term basis, Alveopora sp. are much easier. The most obvious difference is the number of tentacles at the end of each polyp. Goniopora sp. corals have 24 tentacles and Alveopora sp. corals have 12 tentacles.

here is the link:

http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/...s/SWI1701.shtml

Special number . . . . . . 24!:x From now on, 24 is my unlucky number. . . Oh god. . . by head hurts. Shoot- and I really was hoping to start my nano off well. I already have a cleaner and mandarinfish. . . :*( I really can shoot that guy right now. . . . ???

poor guy... has a new nano and already has a mandarin and goniopora... what next, a carpet anemone? lesson learned i guess, dont buy something you know nothing about and dont listen to the lfs guys

i actually have a goniopora too... i bought it when i didnt know anything but ive had it about a year but it hasnt grown or anything. im sure it'll die one day. i hide it in the back so nobody can see it, i guess it likes it there

At least you know for sure now. You are doing the right thing by trying to trade/sell it so don't get down about it, you are trying. Most would just say "oh well" and keep it.

Nothing personal but you should research your potential purchases before they ,do in fact, become yours. I know it's hard to see something that looks good and not get it before you know anything about it because some one may snap it up before you finish your research on it. See if they will hold it for you for a reasonable period of time will you find out about it. Maybe they have some resources in the store that you could look at to aid you in your understanding of the potential purchase. If they don't know what it is it should be obvious that they will not know its needs.Even if it's gone when you get back,it will not be the last one. The saying Caveat Emptor has been around for a long time for good reason. Mistakes are part of the game. We all make 'em. The best among us have probably made the most while repeating them the least. Good luck.

I think its unethical to trade it again (just like how it is for a LFS to sell it to you). You know its doomed in probably 99.5 percent of tanks. Take it up the ass and live with it. I wouldnt feel right pawning off my goniopora to someone unless I gave it to them for free.

I glad I only paid 40 CDN for mine... which is like.. 10 cents US

oh, My mandarin eats frozen- Shes doing great by the way(5 months +/-). I dont know corals, but i know fish. (look me up in mandarin code cracked) . Yeah, I know that it is my fault for jumping for it. I duno, I really thought for a while that it was just a zoo colony. Also, because at the LFS- it was right next to the long tenticled flower pot coral and I thought, no way- it cant be a flower pot. YEah, Petworld sucks in wisconsin. I should have already learned my lesson. Once, back in the day like 3 years ago when I was still a freshman- I got a guy to sell me a coco worm for 10 bucks. anyways- I will try to call the LFS tomorrow- and around town. If it doesnt work out, I will trade it or sell it. Check out Classifieds ok? Please! someone make me a good offer.

Archived