Top Shelf Aquatics

Minibow 7 Update

ReeferMonkey

Reefermonkey,

Your tank is filling up quite nicely. Also, nice avatar. I see your hood is working quite well. Did you ever stain it? Hard to tell from the pic. From my experience with the 70W MH I have noticed that alot of SPS just dont color up too well. In particular the acro's. I waited about 4 months for my monti digitata to color up and it never did. I think you need alot stronger lighting. I'm seriously thinking of going with a 150W Hqi on mine, but that will be later. Keep me posted on your coloration of corals, interested to see the results.

-Saul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Saul 1

From my experience with the 70W MH I have noticed that alot of SPS just dont color up too well. In particular the acro's. I waited about 4 months for my monti digitata to color up and it never did.

Perhaps your bulb was old / bad, or your ballast wasn't running properly? I have had great coloration and growth from my 70W lighting.

All my montiporas color up nicely. and a tricolor acro frag I have was so small, it has finnaly grown upwards after 2 months, and is beginning to do the tri-color thing.

RM< you gotta be kidding me. You are gonna be frag crazy in about 6 mos;)

ReeferMonkey

Saul,

I'm seriously debating the 150 HQI thing too. I actually thought about dropping two 70w, one 6500 or 10000k and one Aqua, side by side, once I do my major upgrades, which will probably include an IceProbe over fans, to reduce evaporative cooling. The thing that gets me the most is that the blue-tipped colony that I really like is losing color :/ I really got to get the group buy on the Blue bulbs rocking so I can try to reverse that (or at least see if I can).

I like my avatar (and the girl they're attached to) as well ;)

Bird,

I'm getting good growth but my coloration isn't the best. I think some of it has to do with the depth of the corals in the tank compared with the Kelvin temp of the bulbs. A lot of your blues (correct me here if I'm wrong) tend to be deeper water species. I've noticed on the RC SPS Keeper forum that people tend to get better coloration from their blue SPS further down in their tanks. Merely anecdotal evidence though.

Yes, I will be frag crazy before too long :D Luckily, even if I don't get my next system (I'm thinking 120ish) or a prop system (some 40 breeders hooked together) up and running, there's a local guy that I'm "renting" prop tank space from for a few frags. There's also a couple other guys in the area that I can "store" frags with until the new tank eventually gets set up. I really ought to start saving cash, from what I've seen a nice 120 easily passes the $2K mark, and I don't want to skimp on equipment. Damn I need a real job :P

RM,

If your dropping two 70's just do a 150 Hqi. I think it will be cheaper in the long run and you'll definately get coloration. Only trouble I foresee is heat issues and evaporation like you stated. :happy:

• 1 month later...

In the next two pics you can see that the Slimer is trying but not healed up yet.

2715Resize_of_DSC06084-med.JPG

2715Resize_of_DSC06087-med.JPG

This pic is a little fuzzy but if you look at older pics of this coral you can see it has really grown.

2715Resize_of_DSC06089-med.JPG

The blue millepora finally looks like it's regaining some color and encrusting a bit. We'll see how things progress. I think it needs more flow.

2715Resize_of_DSC06107-med.JPG

2715Resize_of_DSC06112-med.JPG

2715Resize_of_DSC06113-med.JPG

If you look at the base of this tri color you can see new branches preparing to liberate themselves from the tyranny of encrustation.

2715Resize_of_DSC06115-med.JPG

This piece is really taking off. There are quite a few branches beginning on the side that faces the MH. Also, the color is bouncing back! Sadly the camera can only capture so much (today at least)

2715Resize_of_DSC06099-med.JPG

Anacropora due for some clipping.

2715Resize_of_DSC06125-med.JPG

This cap is due for relocation. Still trying to work the details out.

2715Resize_of_DSC06126-med.JPG

• 1 month later...

9 month update

Things are soon to be all different after I frag and distribute.

Full frontal:

27159mos_full-med.JPG

Left side:

27159mos_left-med.JPG

Center:

27159mos_center-med.JPG

Right side:

27159mos_right-med.JPG

• 3 months later...
ReeferMonkey

Well I'm about to move 440 or so miles from Baton Rouge to Dallas and have been steadily paring down my tank to get ready for the move. The biggest change will be the removal of the ricordia in an attempt to ease hostilities in the tank. A 7g is just too small for rics in my experience. I will post some pics once everything gets settled from the move to Dallas, but I wanted to put these up for posterity.

Full tank

2715Resize_of_DSC06427.JPG

Left side

2715Resize_of_DSC06428.JPG

Center

2715Resize_of_DSC06429.JPG

Right side

2715Resize_of_DSC06430.JPG

Rics in center. Note bare skeleton on caulestrea and montipora.

2715Resize_of_DSC06432.JPG

My cap has whorled nicely and is now attached to the glass.

2715Resize_of_DSC06433.JPG

Anacropora and unknown acro, whose color has tanked in the last few months due to my negligence in the maintenance department.

2715Resize_of_DSC06434.JPG

Acro, stylo, mille. PSP in back.

2715Resize_of_DSC06436.JPG

ReeferMonkey

My favorite pieces.

2715Resize_of_DSC06437.JPG

Many tiny heads from my old colony.

2715Resize_of_DSC06438.JPG

Awesome zoas

2715Resize_of_DSC06439.JPG

Left side detail

2715Resize_of_DSC06440.JPG

SPS

2715Resize_of_DSC06441.JPG

ReeferMonkey

Thanks Whitten. It's about 13 months old, and in these pics I had already removed a couple of things. I'm thinning pretty hard but keeping little bits of most everything. I'm going to redo my rockwork completely to get flow on top of the rock structure and not beneath or behind it, like it is now.

ReeferMonkey

I'm in BR until Saturday, when I move to Dallas. Yes, I've been in the BRRC for some time. I haven't picked up anything in a while - Adrian and Colin are opening FIshy Business soon, it should be a top notch LFS. Coral Connection in Kenner is pretty nice, as is Rick's Reef and Aquatic Specialties (all in Kenner). Aquatic Life has reopened with new owners and they are turning around what used to be the a terrible LFS. Mark's Marine is OK for supplements and the occassional invert - they don't have the greatest husbandry in place for their corals though. Just look at the display system.

I'm happy to answer more questions.

n.

yeah thanks. I heard adrian was opening something fishy. Hopefully it will be something like coral connection in kenner. I love coral connection, except i dont like how i have to drive an hour away but its definetly worth it :P

Good luck with your move.

Sincerly,

Mike

Archived