Coral Vue Hydros

Fattening Up a Yellow Clown Goby

MyLiquidBlue29BC

MyLiquidBlue29BC

My new yellow clown goby is looking pretty sad. I've had him for 5 day. I have him in a breeders box and have been feeding him garlic soaked mysis and NLS pellets 3x a day. He is eating the mysis, but only once out of the three feedings. His color is good and he seems to be behaving normally. Do you think a different choice of food might tempt him to eat more or should I just give it more time?

Here is a pic of the clown goby:

9B7DCE33-CDEA-4C03-8FA8-7B4CD61B51A1.jpg

Crush the pellets a tiny bit - even the "small fish" blend's .5mm can be too large and your goby may not be able to comfortably swallow them.

Also known to work well - any prawn/egg food or even rinsed masago from a local sushi restaurant.

You shouldn't' need the breeders basket, at least not for this - that may be stressing the little guy out as well. Was another fish in the display harassing it?

• Like 1
MyLiquidBlue29BC

Thanks for the food suggestions. I can easily pick up the blood worms. I'll have to make a trip to the big salt water store for prawn eggs, but I'm sure they will have them.

The clown fish is harassing the clown goby. The clown goby was in hiding in the rock work and almost impossible to spot feed. He has been perching on the cheato and rocks all day and his color has improved since I put him in the breeders box. I can watch him eat and easily suck out the uneaten food, so I thought it was a good solution. I could also put him in an empty 2 or 2.5 gallon that I have if you think that would be better.

You could try some smaller food like cyclopeez too, and maybe young brine shrimp. That usually gets my finicky eaters to start eating well, then they move on to the bigger stuff.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I've added bbs and cyclopeez to his meals. He is eating all three frozen foods three times a day, but is still really really thin. I finally found a store with Nutramar Ova, I just need to drive over there and get it.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...