Pod Your Reef

Jay's BC29

Javious

Removing the hood opens up a lot of lighting possibilities for sure. But it will also affect temperature and evaporation. Not to mention carpet surfing fish, cats fishing for a snack and toddlers conducting toy flotation experiments. I never cared for the solid covered look on tanks, but to each their own. If removing the hood I would strongly suggest using an auto top off system to keep evaporation/salinity stable.

My gift card Christmas shopping arrived today. New skimmer, biopellets and ReefRoids coral food. The reactor I got on Christmas day.

DtR1ttm.jpg

Here is my filtration set up before picture, Aquaticlife mini 115 skimmer in chamber 1 and inTank media basket in chamber 2.

P4FVtAA.jpg

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, the CadLights PLS-50 does fit in chamber 1. But the hanging bracket doesn't go all the way down on the back trim and the pump inlet ends up very close to the chamber wall. I am not sure how this would effect skimmer operation and I knew I wasn't keeping it there so i didn't fire it up. Also I was unable to install the inTank water flow deflector thingy on the divider between chamber 1 and 2 with the skimmer installed, it's a tight fit.

rKdnXQ0.jpg

p2ndLSb.jpg

Here is the current configuration. I have the Im Aquagadget Reactor in chamber 1 with biopellets. 2 teaspoons to start with and will work up to 5 teaspoons over the next month. Chamber 2 still has the inTank media basket with filter pad, purigen and chemipure-elite. Also in chamber 2 is the PLS-50 skimmer. I was able to install it lower, under the tank lip, but the adjustment range was limited buy the walls of the tank. So I raised it up and adjusted for bubbles halfway up the neck. If I like the way it works there I will adjust the hanging bracket properly, right now it is just resting on top. Chamber 3 has the return pump, Tunze ATO sensors and a 100w heater.

JH9DsD3.jpg

This is also a filtration experiment for my next build. Sometime this year I will be moving to a 20l with a 10g sump. So I wanted to see how this combination works out before I set that system up.

Ok then. Thanks. If I have the regular coralife biocube, I guess I should just go without the hood then?

Contact Dave Fason at Nano-Box Reef. He did a nice LED retro-fit in my BC29 hood, I couldn't be happier! For me, keeping the stock hood was important as I like the sleek look of the Bio-Cube. And has been already mentioned about carpet surfing fish, I have a blue spot jawfish and they are bad about jumping.

Very nice clean looking tank javious!! ;)

Thanks Basser.

I found a problem with the way I have the skimmer mounted, with the bracket and adjusting plate on the back rim if the collection cup overfills water can end up going over the back of the tank. So I had to try another position. I am not happy with that one either. Shutting it down while I am work and will try again tonight.

I've been playing around with the skimmer again. I tried chamber 1 again, it just won't fit using the inTank water deflector without modifying something. I tried with the skimmer sideways, bracket on divider between chamber 2 and 3. That didn't work either, I had to prop the bracket up on the rim and it was still an overflow risk. Now I have the bracket resting on the back of chamber 2, this is where it is reinforced with ribs to support the stock HQI light, and it is leaning forward just a bit. I am not sure what effect this might have on operations. At least if the cup overflows it will overflow into the rear chambers. If this doesn't work I will have to remove the hanging bracket, set the skimmer on the floor of chamber 2 and lower the water level to achieve good bubble formation. The reason I haven't gone there first is that with the water level lower I get splashing and trickling water noises where the water moves from chamber 1 to chamber 2.

My current arrangement

T61mUQG.jpg

From the side, slight angle on skimmer and not well secured

NmjnbHA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of minor adjustment, the skimmer is working well. It is pulling darker skim than the AL mini 115 ever did. The skim looks darker in person, it must have been the flash on the camera.

ge0TtpC.jpg

I like what I am seeing in how you have yours set up. Like you I have been "satisfied" with the 115 but not exctatic in any way. I like the bio pellets idea in the reactor too. I have the same IM reactor but right now I am running BRS high capacity GFO pellets in it. BUT I THINK the BioPellets would likely be a better filter or have a better effect on the health of my tank than the GFO has been.

Ultimately I see myself leaving the AIO world in a year or two and doing the same with a slightly larger regular tank with a full Sump/Refu allowing me more flexibility on the types of reactors/refugium material/skimmers etc.

But I have to say seeing the IM Reactor in chamber one seems like that is a better fit than the 115. That 115 is soooo tight in there I worry that it somehow restricted the flow through there etc. I might be selling my 115 soon and looking to buy a better skimmer - maybe that one you have. Thanks Javious! lol

I like what I am seeing in how you have yours set up. Like you I have been "satisfied" with the 115 but not exctatic in any way. I like the bio pellets idea in the reactor too. I have the same IM reactor but right now I am running BRS high capacity GFO pellets in it. BUT I THINK the BioPellets would likely be a better filter or have a better effect on the health of my tank than the GFO has been.

Ultimately I see myself leaving the AIO world in a year or two and doing the same with a slightly larger regular tank with a full Sump/Refu allowing me more flexibility on the types of reactors/refugium material/skimmers etc.

But I have to say seeing the IM Reactor in chamber one seems like that is a better fit than the 115. That 115 is soooo tight in there I worry that it somehow restricted the flow through there etc. I might be selling my 115 soon and looking to buy a better skimmer - maybe that one you have. Thanks Javious! lol

Do you have the HQI biocube or with a hood? The reinforced back to hold the HQI light is the only drawback to my skimmer mounting location. I could of course trim them down, but I plan to resell the bio cube with the HQI light so that isn't an option. I could also not use the mounting bracket, but this works well enough for now.

I just received my stand for my new 20 long, so the bio cube's days are numbered. And I just got a headache thinking of all the things I need to plan, buy, build, figure out, engineer and put together for the new system.

Not the HQI version I have the hood (Oceanic) with the Steves Leds in it. I see Marine Depot has the PLS-50 for $109 but currently running 10% off. Might pull the trigger on that before it goes off sale.

Awesome! I've had my eye on that cad lights skimmer myself but was concerned about the fit. I already had a hell of a time getting the AL 115 to fit in chamber 1. I run my BC29 with the hood and I had to get my dremel tool out to cut away at the hood to get the bracket to fit. Like you guys have mentioned, I am satisfied with the AL 115, but I wish I could get better. Good luck with the 20l! I just bought a 40 breeder at the Petco 1$ per gallon (still going until the 25th fyi) that I will be setting up over the coming months.

The 115 is adequate mainly because we didn't have many choices. I've never managed to get "dark" skim with mine and I've tinkered for 2 years now lol! I may look at the cad lights skimmer as well as the biocube will get handed down to my 11yo daughter once my 60 cube is up in a couple of months.

• 5 months later...

update? i'm curious as to how the pls-50 is long term. and why not ditch the bracket and use eggcrate or something similar to hold it at desired height in chamber 2?

Archived