ReefCleaners.org

sargent majors

matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler

ok- these are not a nano fish. period. not sure gallonage requirments- but i would gess around 130? based on what i knwo of them.... so this might be the wrong board to address this on, but why don't i find many large aggressive setups that house this most awesome of fish? They have to be one of the more populated larger species i see when diving in the keys... yet there is almost no info on them in the reef tnak that i can find [other than the highly aggressive nature of this ...militant ha ha.. fish]/ so why are people who keep them few and far between? any one know of an info source [not fo rme to keep, but to research.

not many people keep them because they are the "goldfish of the sea". not uncommon and not all that beautiful. check wetwebmedia.com, it might have more info.

matt the fiddler

yea they are common , but i disagree with you ...personally think they are very beautiful fish- a love from my many diving years... most other damsels like them loose color and turn black as adults..

matt

In my first go around into this hobby (late eighties), back when undergravel filters and crushed coral were all the rage, I remember seeing Sgt.Majors at the pet store. Now I don't see them, but I've only been back into the hobby for a short time.

Anyway, a full grown will only get like 8" so I don't see why you couldn't keep a young one in a nano for a year or so, especially since they're very hardy. You occasionally read of people keeping large fish such as cowfish in a nano for a while so why not a Sgt. Major?

We have these guys living in tidepools here in Hawaii. I caught a few and had them in my first tank. I ended up getting rid of them because they would eat all the food before the other inhabitants could feed. They are pretty agressive when it comes to food.

matt the fiddler

mel- yea, i have doven off of the islands in your area.. they are especially beautiful in big schools :) my cousin lives probably 20 miles away from you... she is a big horse trainer...

Archived