inTank Media Baskets

70 Ushio Lamp

mokick3

I am considering adding this lamp to my 15 gallon tank. I just need to know if there exist a pendant that I could use with this. I need to hang my light from the ceiling to avoid any heat problems, and I cannot find a fixture to that with this lamp.

ReeferMonkey

You can...

Buy a Regent from HD and have a ghetto DIY pendant

Buy a ReefOptix III from an OLFS and have a really nice pendant

Build a canopy and just DIY it like that

Search for "regent" in the lighting thread, should keep you busy for a while. The ROIII pendants are really nice but run about $100. They have one of the best reflectors on the market. You would have to work on wiring it up. Or you could build a hood (just put some 4" fans from Radio Shack in) and stick a 13w PC reflector in with your lamp setup, and voila.

HTH.

ReeferMonkey

That's going to be pretty tough for you then. You may have to shell out some cash. For a 15g you could probably do pretty well with a 150 DE. Check out the RC selling forum, I just saw an Ocean Medic pendant 150w DE with ballast in the enclosure for $240. Plug and play and pretty sweet to boot.

Also look at JMTs thread under either Lighting or DIY forum about his DIY MH hood. I bet if you paid him he might even wire it up...

Im pretty sure that the sockets are different. If your gonna buy a pendant, buy a PFO hood. They have 70W ones i think. check premiumaquatics.com. They need some wiring though if you buy just the pendant.

UGH... so frustrating....

Everything needs rewiring.

I only need the 70w bulb.. I dont want the 150 watt. There MUST be something out there that requires no more then inserting the bulb, and plugging in.

ReeferMonkey

You can buy a kit from LampDr which is all wired but you need to screw it in and have a canopy of some sort.

70w is not common in the trade yet. Sorry.

mo, if you dont want to do the regent DIY just ask around and i am sure someone will do it for you for a fee. all you would have to do is plug your bulb in. shoot, you mail me the ballast and i will wire it up for you and ship it back.

trust me though, you can do this one. its easy as hell. just study that diy carefully, get the parts and do it!

nalbar

gedemeister

"Could I used a 70wDE bulb in a fixture made for 150 wDE?"

i asked this once along time ago, the anwser was NO.

why not get the 150wde, i have 150w pendant over my 12 gallon, it rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

I would be carefull with the regent fixtures. The glass is not uv protected. PFO pendants and the like are "LOW-E" coated, thereby reducing UV C rays by around 97%, the glass in the Regent fixtures is probably around 47%, according to glass manufacturers. UV-C is filtered out in nature by the ozone, and it is the most damaging form of UV.

In addition, the PFO pendants spread out the light more evenly. I found this out the hard way doing a DIY Regent pendant.

Archived