SaltCritters.com

My dive into clam keeping

USFnano

cool clam.

a few things to help.

Clean your glass often, the microscopic algae you are scraping off can be ingested by the clam. I would say at that age, feed the tank a lot of phyto.... They are mainly consumers at this point. Later in it's life it will become more reliant on it's zooxanthelle, but for now, get him eating phyot. A spot feeder may not be as useful as you'd like. Just dump it in the water daily or every other day. keep up with WC's and watch nutrient levels. How is the tort frag?

Tort frag's doing great. 24/7 polyp extension and starting to encrust. I also got a purple cerealis frag at our last club meeting :)

How much of the phyto should I add to the tank? I've ready plenty on them, and I'm confident about keeping it. The school library has Knop's book and I've checked it out a few times ;)

Good for you for getting a book and educating yourself before buying the clam! thumb.gif I would feed little, but often. Maybe a capful at most. I haven't used DT's in a while, so read the directions of whatever you buy. And like was suggested, watch your water conditions closely and keep up with your water changes.

What about putting it in a small container of tank water, putting lots of phyto in it, and let it sit awhile to feed?

I always hear that suggestion when people are talkin about small clams.

~

ARGH!!!!!

My lfs here brought in a couple of baby maximas and croceas like the size u have...I wanted to get some but my tank was running a PC...

So, i've upgraded to a MH....and a slightly larger tank...hehe....

Can't wait to get a clam!!!

I have a purple and gold maxima that I have had for about a year that I keep under VHO. It shows very good growth and good coloration....so you don't HAVE to keep a clam under MH. Granted, my clam is about 8 inches from the VHO's, but still :)

Originally posted by fade2black

I have a purple and gold maxima that I have had for about a year that I keep under VHO.  It shows very good growth and good coloration....so you don't HAVE to keep a clam under MH.  Granted, my clam is about 8 inches from the VHO's, but still :)

Yeah, i know it is possible but I just didn't wanna take any chances...

Oh btw, I don't mean to hitchhike this thread, just wanna find out if i have enough lighting on my new tank.

My tank is 20 gallons, 24"(L) x 12.5"(W) x 16"(H) and I got a 175W Ushio MH bulb and a 55W actinic Power compact bulb.

This should be enough right? I was gonna get 110W actinics but felt it was a little too much and too hot.

Should be plenty :)

Just remember, a crocea is the only one that will be able to stay in a tank that size. The others would require a bigger tank eventually(maxima, squamosa, derasa grow 16"+)

i have a 30 gln and only have a 110w of pc and 55w actinics will a crocea be okay if i place towrds teh top of my tank???????

Originally posted by USFnano

Should be plenty :)

Just remember, a crocea is the only one that will be able to stay in a tank that size. The others would require a bigger tank eventually(maxima, squamosa, derasa grow 16"+)

How long does it take for them to grow an inch or 2?

Btw, do u guys use a glass or acrylic shield for the MH?

I understand that if the bulb is UV coated, then it's not needed?

I know its a lil off topic but since i'm also hoping to have clams in my 20 gallon, I want to make sure my Set-up will be sufficent.

I have a Hamilton 2x55watt PC fixture which has about 5 inches between the bulbs. Therefore, i was planning on putting one of those 70watt DE HQI set-ups that are sold on this board into the hood and having the PC just for actinics.

Is that enough lighting for a clam and acro?....If not, what else could you guys reccomend.

Thanks for the help :D

~

Originally posted by taketz

I know its a lil off topic but since i'm also hoping to have clams in my 20 gallon, I want to make sure my Set-up will be sufficent.

I have a Hamilton 2x55watt PC fixture which has about 5 inches between the bulbs. Therefore, i was planning on putting one of those 70watt DE HQI set-ups that are sold on this board into the hood and having the PC just for actinics.

Is that enough lighting for a clam and acro?....If not, what else could you guys reccomend.

Thanks for the help :D  

~

That's good. It's more than enough to me...:)

I'm only going with 1 x 55W PC. :)

Originally posted by bobbittle

You guys think 8 wpg of PC would be enough if placed within 6-8 inches of the light?

Some ppl say it's enough to sustain a clam but not to have it thrive.

Archived