ReefCleaners.org

New tank pics

wulffenstein

wulffenstein

This is a picture of the full tank finally. . .

IMG_0039.JPG[br]

Here is a pic with the DIY hood.  

IMG_0043.JPG

I would love comments, question, and ideas.

wulffenstein

Thanks for the great responses.

I'll try to get all the questions in . . .

The BTA I have had since the inception of the tank in Feb.  It was a hand-me-down from some friends.  It seems to be doing great.  

The green thing on the left side is a kind of macro-algea.  The LFS called it a "shaver's brush."  I have never seen anything like it so I grabbed it when I saw it.  Only had it a week so we will see how fast it grows.  

The hood was made from pine boards from Home Depot.  It housed 2 55w PC 50/50 lights.  I am not much for wood working buy my father-in-law was great we cooked the hood up in a few hours for about $10. (not including the lights of course).  

As far as tank specs . . .

20 gal

bak-pak skimmer

a rio 500 for aditional circulation

about 25 lbs of LR (Just a guess)

20lbs of LS

Fish:

Tomato Clown (Came with the BTA)

6 line wrasses

firefish

Corals

Frogspawn

Orange cabbage leather

Toadstool Leather

Candy cane coral

Xenia

Yellow Pylops

Green Star Pylops

Green Zooanthids

Brown zooanthids

Brown/Yellow zooanthids

Various shrooms

Other Stuff

Staghorn hermit (possibly the coolest thing)

Ultra blue maxima (trial basis - but the second coolest thing in the tank)

scarlet hermits

blue leg hermit

Aestra / Turbo / bumble bee snails

Small unidentified snails (only come out at night)

Tiger-tail cucumber (could be I problem but benefits out weight dangers)

Fire shrimp (beautiful red - wish he would come out more often - I think he's warming up to me)

Small red starfish

Next Steps

Possible addition of more LR on the right side

Yellow cup coral - maybe

I hope that wasn't more then everyone wanted to know.  I realize that some of you will freak out about a few inhabitants but it is working so far and if things get weird I have a friend with a large reef I can park things in.

Very nice.  I too like the layout.  And I love the "Shavers Brush" macro algae.  It was a very good idea buying, it sure does look extraordinary, I would have done the same thing.

I really envy the coralline algae. :)

I am waiting for my tank to turn out like that :)

I bought a bunch of those macro algaes and they didn't fare very well.  I was told that they don't usually do well in reefs.  They do look cool though so definitely worth a shot.  More important, post a pic of the staghorn.  I had two in my tank and one recently vanished, leaving just the shell.  The other has been spending way too much time in the back of the tank (might have to move out front).  They are so much fun to watch, especially when they struggle to move that bulky coral over the reef.

Dont be surprised if the needles fall off the shaving brush. Mine did that off the main plant and grew runners beside it. Seems fairly common from what i've seen. Mine only lasted about 3 months before i pulled it from the tank. I ordered mine from Seahorse Farms.

wulffenstein

Thanks for the info on the shaving brush.  I hadn't seen before and it was $8 so it was worth a shot.

I will be fraging the frogspawn in the future it started with two heads and both are starting to split.  It will take it sometime so I have not time table.

As far as the staghorn.  I expected him to take off around the tank but he has stayed in the front on the sand which is cool because I get to see him everyday.  I will get a camera and get a pic as soon as I can.

wulffenstein

The frogspawn was free.  My friend has a large reef and it was getting to big so they just fragged it.  They are the same people that sold me the tank, LR, and some leathers and shrooms.  I got it all for $200.  My wife thought it was to much, I thought it was steal.

efrena I am not sure what you mean by a frame.  It just sits on the return on my desk.  It takes up most of it but that's fine.  I made sure it was well supported because of the weight.

It is at my office.  Everyone likes, some come by and look.  Some more then others.  I have one office mate that I almost have convinced to start her own.  Maybe a 7 gal seahorse tank.

Vixyswillie

Very cool, wulff - thanks for all the info. And being the nano nuts we are - no amount of detail is too much! ;)

Best of luck - and keep is posted...

Archived