Cultivated Reef

Matt's 4 gallon pico

Matt_95

Cameron6796

Got a link to it I'd love to follow I want some ideas for something unique so I'm following whatever I can... If I leave for two days my followed threads explode with activity

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't put it up yet, I'm just uploading some photos now and I'll make a topic.

It's a pico lagoon with upside down jellies, I'm really liking it so far.

Just adding in this FTS, haven't updated it on a while. Tank is a bit cloudy, I moved some stuff around.

IMG_4513_zps76f40303.jpg

I've been tweaking the scape a little and I really think it now looks like the bommies that I dive on. Well not the colour, most coral on the reef is not colourful. Also reef lighting is VERY unnatural. Anyway, what do you guys think of the scape?

IMG_4531_zpsf5ed96c5.jpgIMG_4532_zpsdbf12c58.jpgIMG_4538_zps1bfdee40.jpg

Here's a new photo of the carpet anemone, it's hard to get realistic photos with the LEDs, the second photo is the anemones colour irl but the sand is overexposed. I find the coral flare works better with the camera than the BoostLED did however.

IMG_4526_zps4c5da748.jpgIMG_4527_zpsd85029c3.jpg

Also, my clowns came down with brooklynella. I lost my smaller snowflake and I am treating the rest in a quarantine tank. I hope they come good!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a 7 gallon tank that I'll be moving everything from this tank into, similar dimensions but it will allow me more flexibility.

dmasterx1x

It'll be cool to see what you can do with more space, also sucks about the sick clown. I actually had a clown come down with brook.. treated with 37% formaldahyde solution. 2nd day back in regular tank...JUMPED. I have a love/HATE relationship with clownfish now.

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be cool to see what you can do with more space, also sucks about the sick clown. I actually had a clown come down with brook.. treated with 37% formaldahyde solution. 2nd day back in regular tank...JUMPED. I have a love/HATE relationship with clownfish now.

I was treating the survivor with a 37% formaldehyde solution as well! unfortunately it didn't make it. Very upsetting.

Unfortunately the new tank did not pass the leak test, I will have to return it.

Was doing a water change today and thought I would snap a picture. It's winter here now and a nice balmy 24 degrees.

post-82562-0-22311700-1401683082_thumb.jpg

I've decided I am no longer satisfied with the reef flare bulb. The purple tint is to strong and I would like the options of a moonlight. Any recommendations of a good fixture for no more than $200 AUD? I was thinking maybe the micol aqua mini?

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up this nem yesterday, was sold to me as a haddoni but it doesn't look that much like my other one...

post-82562-0-77153600-1404132136_thumb.jpg

Thats another haddoni :) you will defiantly be needing a big haddoni species tank.

Thanks very much for confirming the identity. Any idea on why it differs so much from my other Haddoni from the same general area (Moreton Bay)?

What do you mean by 'differs' I don't see much difference other than colour, do you have a picture of the mouth?

What do you mean by 'differs' I don't see much difference other than colour, do you have a picture of the mouth?

It has far smaller tentacles than the one next to it and also any I have seen in the wild. It also has two different type of tentacles, the tentacles on the fringe of the oral disk are pointed like those on a mini maxi. It also hugs the rock and hides it's column where as the one I know is a hadonni stretches out away from the rock. The new one also touches some of my mini maxis with no apparent effect. I don't have a photo of the mouth sorry but I will try get one later.

Hmmm well it might not be hadonni, it sure as heck looks like one.The fact that the green one thats for sure a hadonni is on the rock is surprising as the prefer sand as you know. The thing that makes me think its a hadonni and not a maxi is that it doesn't have the tentacle pattern of a maxi. The one way to know for sure is if you clown tries to host it and gets eaten its a maxi, if it hosts it and both seem happy then its a hadonni.

The green one is usually in the sand, it's moved up into the rock after I raised the light to acclimatize some new corals up the top. It's usual for him to move up there when there's less light, he should move back when I lower the fixture again. The seller had another carpet anemone that was the same colour. He said it started off with the dense tentacles like mine had but after acclimatizing for a few weeks and a few feeds it developed the typical pattern of a maxi. The clowns in his tank weren't hosting this anemone either. Not that that means much.

The new nem has been expanding a lot more over the past few days. What do you think of this? It's developing those spokes that you see in mini maxis.

post-82562-0-37666400-1404818699_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for that, what features point you towards identifying it as S. mertensii? I've never seen one before. Looks like I will be needing a much larger tank than I was planning.

I've also been thinking of getting a nano box light for this tank, would the mini be the correct size?

Cameron6796

The mini would but that Nem is gonna get bigggg and they aren't beccasarily the easiest to keep either

Archived