Farrah

zoo-sucking snail???

Farrah

I have a snail that appeared out of nowhere. It's covered in coraline, about 1/2 in long, and his shaped similar to a murex or conch (but no spines). It has a tiny proboscis that is currently inserted into the mouth of one of my zooanthids! What the hell is it and what is it doing???

fade2black

The only snail I know of that eats zoos is circlular in shape and black and white striped. However, if it's attempting to eat your zoos I would take it out! Better to be safe that sorry IMO.

AReeferIsExpensive

ive had sundial snails b4..how you kow is b/c when they retract, the trap door is cone shaped. They come out at nice n suck away~

Is this tampa bay saltwater live rock?

then its prob a chicoreus pomum apple murex

or does it look like this?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...highlight=murex

Farrah

The shape is very similar to that photo, but not as many ridges and bumps... there's much less topography to the shell. The live rock came from Tonga, but he could have hitchhiked with some corals I spose. No telling where he's from. I don't want to kill the little guy, but don't want to keep him around in my tank if he's going to eat my zoos. I wonder if my LFS wants him.

AReeferIsExpensive

take a look at your zoos, if there are some that arent open when the lights are on, flush it~

Farrah

They are luckily all still open. I'ev made the mistake of leaving in a colony that wasn't, though... the whole thing died, and my nitrates went up because I was hoping part of it would live. I ended up with about 5 or 6 polyups of new growth that survived, but it wasn't worth my nitrate problem.