Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

got a new skimmer!!!

fuka

bought a new skimmer on the weekend also changed the substrate from crushed coral to a 1mm calcium carbonate will see how that goes if i dont like i will later change to an ultra fine sand prolly 00 size...

my new skimmer is a venturi style made here in australia im just not sure where the water level should be at i can make it sit in 2 spots any help would be good lol i aint never had a skimmer before...

nice zoos... the water level should be at the level shown in the second pic. However I noticed that the bubble density is insufficient and bubble size too big for... maybe u can try tuning it. What flowrate pump are u driving it with? are you getting any skimmate yet?

is that a green carpet anemone I see on the right? Becareful they are voracious eaters. rumored to devour many fishes.

yes, those do look like big bubbles, you need a bigger pump possibly. also, your ouput back to the tank is at the top of the skimmer. it should be lower for 2 reasons:

-you'll get lots of microbubbles returning to your tank

-you want the bubbles to remain at the top and go up the tube, not through the return

the return should be positioned at hte bottom

also, your pump may be sufficient but its loosing a lot of flow power because you have such a long intake cord. keep it as short as possible. also, i dont really understand what the small piping is for? whats it hooked up to? i dont have that much experience with venturi style skimmers... i did have a berlin classic once though...

there should be enough bubbles there that I cant see the black intake pipe

good luck with it

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!! :)

i love to see replies lol

the sand bed is "savage"???? please elaborate lol i hope its good news....

ryz that green thing that you think is a carpet anenome is actually a traciphyllia i think thats how you spell it lol but i did have a clown in there a while ago but i added him too early and i think a spike in the water killed him and well he found his way to the green things mouth it was very interesting to watch him get eaten....

petes im not sure what your on about probably cause i just got up but there is 2 tanks i will add more pix...the skimmer is powered by a powerhead slightly overated for wat is ment to be on it and this morning i started to find skimmate forming cant wait to see when it starts to work for efficent...

there is a fair amount of micro bubbles entering the sump/fuge from the skimmer eeeekkkkk...

ReefinDonna

Does the return for that skimmer go go down to the bottom of the inside of you skimmer. I am just wondering because I just got mine set up today and looks very similar to yours. Except mine is a HOT one. My return pipe comes out of the top but is connected to a tube that goes down really close to the bottom. I think the return needs to be at the bottom or so that the bubbles rise adn the other water is forced out the bottom while the bubbles fight their way up to the top. Mine looks to be close to the same size chamber as yours and I have a Rio 2500 pumping it and it creates real good micro bubbles. I tried using a cheeper pump, I think it was the 1700 and it didn't push hard enough and wasn't getting good saturation of micro bubbles. I have a sponge at the output to try to catch some of the micro bubbles from returning to the tank. I just got mine going and don't really have much in my tank so I will have to wait and see how well it's going to work. Here's a link to the thread with a picture of the one I just got.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=33692

Donna...

how come my sand bed has that brown $h!7 on it? is my MH like burning it? lol

my skimmer is rated for tanks too 400L my total tank volume would be close to 100L so once i get is sorted i hope that it works all good i might go to where it was made and ask them to explain it all to me :)

thankyou all once again for replying to my crappy Q's and looking at my $h!77y tank i cant wait to set up a better more efficent tank and move all my equpiment and stock to it maybe next year... im thinking of going a 3ft L x 2ft H x 2ft W with a built in overflow and have a sump and a seperate fuge maybe add a calcium reactor as well...

do you think i could keep clams and acro in my tank atm its a 10K 150 watt MH i might build a hood and add 2 no acintic fluros i have been saying this fora while now lol

anyways thank you all

ReefinDonna

I think that your tank looks great. I really like that zoo rock there in the front. If you ever get sick of it, I will send you my address. I think your sand bed is a little deep, in my opinion. I think 2-3 inches is what most people reccomended for me. But really, I don't know that much except for what I read over on rc, so might want to ask some more experienced reefers.

Donna...

i currently have clear pipe connecting the in and out of the skimmer should i use PVC pipe instead?

do you guys put the out pipe under the water or above the water?

if anyone could post a pic of how they have their skimmer connected that would be ace :)

ReefinDonna

Mine is similar but it is a hang on tank design. My input and output are about where your output is. My output connects to a pretty wide tube that actually is so close to the bottom it looks like it it touching. I asked the guy who put it together for me, how the water is going to get out and shouldn't we move the pipe up and he told me that I wanted it as close to the bottom to keep out the micro bubbles as much as possible.

Donna...

Archived