Cultivated Reef

Enough light for 24Gallon?

Beholder

Hi,

I am about to get a Metal Halide light. 150Watts, running a 10 000k bulb. Is this enough light for a 24Gallon, in which I would like to grow some softies ('shrooms, xenia, leathers, zooanthids), and MAYBE 1 or 2 hard corals. The hard corals will be a while, as finances dictate will only be able to get next year.

Also, if the light is about 10 inches above the water, is this ok? I have cover glass, and the ballast is seperate (will be on the desk behind the tank). The hood is going to be open at the back, so there is some way for air to escape. Is there anything else I should consider / bear in mind?

Thanks

Evan

Yes, thats more than enough for the coral you want to keep. Its enough to keep anything basically including clams. Most acros may need more light, at least to color up to their full potential, or even color up at all.

Id lower the light to 6 inches or less and have 2 fans blowing IN. If your light is 10 inches, that probably means your canopy will be 12 inches and plus in height... which is kinda ugly if you ask me. May look good on a 90+ gallon high tank but not a small one. But if you dont want to deal with a lot of water evaporation (ie. no autotop off), you may want to have it at 10 inches. If its not a double ended bulb you wont need the glass and it will only reduce the amount of light reaching your tank.

Archived